Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all, I recently tried to install perl for alien and in the process accidentally removed what I'm guessing where some important dependencies. know when ever I try to open ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

missing dependencies cause software installation to not work

Hello all, I recently tried to install perl for alien and in the process accidentally removed what I'm guessing where some important dependencies. know when ever I try to open package manager I get this error:

terminate called after throwing an instance of 'YUIPluginException'
    what(): Couldn't load plug-in gtk
    YaST got signal 6 at YCP file Wizard.ycp:720
    /sbin/yast2: line 431: 2215 Aborted $ybindir/y2base $module "$" "$SELECTED_GUI" $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

and my packagekit also gives me an error, any thoughts on how to repeal the changes I made.

Thanks in advanced.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You may need to reinstall the dependencies directly from the rpm files using the rpm command instead of yast.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Hi thanks for your reply, I'm not sure which dependencies I'm missing. Is there any way to find out?

Thanks again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, if you use rpm to reinstall yast, it will tell you which dependencies are missing.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    thanks but I am unable to install rpms package kit returns an error every time but I'm using zypper to update and fix dependencies and hopefully that will work.

Linux Enthusiast
    Are you using zypper or a GUI?

Quote Originally Posted by anfanator View Post
    Hello all, I recently tried to install perl for alien and in the process accidentally removed ... some important dependencies.
    I have some naivistic questions:
    1. How did you succeed to install at all perl ... with missing 'critical for the operation' dependencies
    2. Why don't you install the .deb package of perl, for example.
    3. How did you find that it is the missing dependencies ... and not the inappropriate version of perl ... that are causing the problems.

IMV it is not the dependencies. Most probably alien (& your linux distro) have problems with the specific perl .rpm package you are trying to install, which may have some pseudo-libraries (libraries intended to lie the package installer to install the package).
    Clean up everything (associated with perl) and try to install some more appropriate package.
    Open the package installer (Add/Remove Software of s.th.) and in the search box there write: perl ... and install from the repo list the perl packages anticipated for your linux distro.