Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there, whenever I plug in a usb device my linux automounts it ... thats pretty neat but it mounts it to a fairly weired place (/run/media/<user>/<device>). I was wondering ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Set location of automount for usb devices

Hi there,

whenever I plug in a usb device my linux automounts it ... thats pretty neat but it mounts it to a fairly weired place (/run/media/<user>/<device>).
    I was wondering if I could confige that path and make it easier to access e.g. /media/<device>.

I hope it's not one of those RTFM questions but after about 30 mins on google and forum search I got kind of desperate.

Hope you can help me and thanks.

Additional Info:
    Desktop: Gnome3

Is there an entry for it in /etc/fstab?
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    nope...
    this is the content of my fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SATA_SSD_1115072C030C2E1D3F0F-part1 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SATA_SSD_1115072C030C2E1D3F0F-part2 /                    ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 1
    /dev/disk/by-id/ata-SATA_SSD_1115072C030C2E1D3F0F-part3 /work                ext4       acl,user_xattr        1 2
    proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
    sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
    debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
    usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
    devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The first three lines look like entries for your hard drive partitions. I can't see a line for the pendrive. That's not surprising if Suse expects to handle the drive by itself in some non-standard way. That's why I don't like automounts; they may look cool but they take control away from you.

You can always add a line to this file (as root) specifying where you want this drive to be mounted. You will need to find out what your system calls it (probably /dev/sdb1). Look in the boot log to find out.
    Then add a line something like:
    Code:
    /dev/sdb1      /media/sdb        ext4       defaults,user      0     0
    I suggest the user option to let you mount the disk as an ordinary user.
    "I'm just a little old lady; don't try to dazzle me with jargon!"
    www.hrussman.entadsl.com

Just Joined!
    Yeah that worked thanks!
    I think it's pretty sad that you can't customize the automount feature because it's actually handy... maybe in a future release. :P