Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! My favourite distro so far is openSuSE, but my problem is that I can't use it without the Internet connection is terrible. Right now I'm using Edubuntu and in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Additional Drivers for openSuSE?

Hi! My favourite distro so far is openSuSE, but my problem is that I can't use it without the Internet connection is terrible. Right now I'm using Edubuntu and in Ubuntu there is a program called "Additional Drivers" which automatically finds and installs the drivers needed. I need a driver called "Broadcom STA Wireless Driver" unless my internet doesn't work, and in openSuSE there is no such program.
    Does anyone know a similar program I can install or at least how to download and install the drivers?
    Thank you.

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    For openSUSE there is a great online tool called software.opensuse.org and a quick search on that for broadcom (here) revealed a couple of Broadcom drivers including the sta one. It has a 1-click install which (after many warnings in the case of an unofficial repository) sort everything out for you
    What do we want?
    Time machines!

When do we want 'em?
    Doesn't really matter does it!?

Conkybots: Interactive plugins for your Conkys!

Just Joined!
    OK so I installed the Broadcom-STA driver and then the Internet didn`t work at all. I reinstalled openSuSE and installed the Broadcom-WL and now openSuSE wont even boot!

Just Joined!
    Since I can't post urls yet you get the copy paste long version.

16. Wifi Driver Installation
    Most of the time wifi will just work out of the box. In these cases you'll be able to configure your wireless card using the NetworkManagement widget which you should find running in your system tray.

Plasmoid NetworkManagement

16.1 Find Out Which Chipset
    If your wireless card isn't supported out of the box, chances are you can make it work fairly easily.

The first step is running this command to find out which chipset is on the card. The chipset is what matters, the make and model of the device is basically of no importance.
    hwinfo --wlan --short

lspci

Now that you know which chipset is on your card, you can start figuring out what is required to make the chipset work in openSUSE - usually you'll just need to install a driver and/or some firmware.

16.2 Recent Broadcom Chipset
    The Linux kernel comes with the brcm80211 driver by default. This driver supports bcm4313, bcm43224, bcm43224, bcm43225, bcm4329, bcm4330, bcm4334, bcm43241, bcm43235 (>= rev 3), bcm43236 (>= rev 3), bcm43238 (>= rev 3), bcm43143, bcm43242.

If you experience problems with the above driver, and you have one of the following chipsets: bcm4312, bcm4313, bcm4321, bcm4322, bcm43224, bcm43225, bcm43227, bcm43228, you may want to try installing the proprietary broadcom-wl driver (package: broadcom-wl) available in the Packman software repository.

16.3 Older Broadcom Chipset
    If you have an older Broadcom chip supported by the, free, reverse-engineered b43 driver, i.e.: bcm4303, bcm4306, bcm4309, bcm4311, bcm4318, you only need to install the firmware. This is automated by simply running this command and rebooting afterwards (make sure the package b43-fwcutter is installed and that you are online while running the command):
    install_bcm43xx_firmware