Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone, I have an external hard drive with a partition for openSuSE and my laptop, which has not been partitioned and runs Windows 7. I recently tried to boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Fyo
    Just Joined!

Question Trouble with GRUB and Windows

Hello everyone,

I have an external hard drive with a partition for openSuSE and my laptop, which has not been partitioned and runs Windows 7. I recently tried to boot Windows, but I found it would not boot without the hard drive with Linux plugged in, as it could not connect to the GRUB. I have to leave the hard drive in, hit F12, select boot from internal hard drive, and then it takes me to the suSE interface that gives me the choice of starting Linux in three ways or starting Windows. From there I can boot Windows.

My questions are 1) what happened that Windows will not boot without the Linux partition, and 2) how do I make the damn thing boot without the extra drive? It doesn't affect my work once it has been booted, and I can remove the external drive. It's just incredibly frustrating.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Linux Guru
    During the installation, you were given an opportunity to install the bootloader to different locations. The default is to the master boot record of the first drive which would be your laptop internal drive. This is standard with Linux as well as windows. With windows, you would not be given the option. Opensuse has a lot of options in the bootloader installation which can be confusing. What you need to do is to use your windows full installation CD/DVD to reinstall its bootloader to the master boot record of the laptop internal drive.

If you do not have an installation CD/DVD, the simplest thing to do is to attach the external, boot into windows and go to the site below to download EasyBCD. Read the instructions at the second link first:

EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/ti...ws-bootloader/

Fyo
    Just Joined!
    Thank you so Mich for your help. I tried using EasyBCD and it worked perfectly. Thanks!

Linux Guru
    It's a pretty helpful tool. When I bought my last computer with windows 7, the first thing I did was download EasyBCD then created the Recovery CD which I needed later in the day. Glad you got it working.