Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone helped me here? I have two hard drives in my desktop. Hard Drive 1 has windows installed in it. Hard Drive 2 is has OpenSuse installed in it. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How do you remove the grub from the windows MBR?

Can anyone helped me here?
    I have two hard drives in my desktop. Hard Drive 1 has windows installed in it. Hard Drive 2 is has OpenSuse installed in it. First boot order is the Hard Drive 1 so I am assuming that the grub is installed in Hard Drive 1. Now, Hard Drive 2 has failed, the physical device is no longer operational. I knew that the device is somehow damaged but I let it be until it's too late. So everytime I boot the computer, it goes to the banner:
    Welcome to the Grub! something like that
    and then
    cannot find filesystem.. something like that
    then

grub rescue>

I tried using rescue system mode from the Opensuse media:
    rescue~:>
    rescue~:> grub
    grub> find /boot/grub/stage1
    cannot find file
    grub> setup (hd0) Note: I tried other partitions as well
    unknown filesystem
    grub> boot
    kernel must be loaded first

To verify that it is Hard Drive 2, I installed another OpenSuse in another hd, Hard Drive 3:
    After installation, I checked the mounted devices. Hard Drive 1 still has all the data in it. Hard Drive 2 is empty except for on folder named <user> but no files as well inside.

I am concluding that it is really indeed the Hard Drive 2. Is there a way to remove grub from the Windows MBR? I am thinking of using a Windows media to rebuild the MBR, will that work? Is there another way without using Windows media?

A HIRENS BOOT CD comes to mind for

Is there another way without using Windows media?
    A burned and booted linux live cd and a fdisk -l report will give more info on what to say in this thread also.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Linux Guru
    The best way to do this would be to use the Repair option of your windows installation CD/DVD to repair the mbr, put windows on the mbr of the first drive. If you don't have then windows install CD/DVD, you will need to look at other options.