Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
hi. i have openSUSE 12.3 on my PC and i installed many apps on it. and now i want install openSUSE on my Laptop , and i dont want download ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

copy installed apps to other openSUSE

hi.
    i have openSUSE 12.3 on my PC and i installed many apps on it.
    and now i want install openSUSE on my Laptop , and i dont want download all apps again. so please help me for how to copy apps from my PC to other Computers.

As with all operating systems, for a large complex program to run successfully it needs hooks into the services provided by the operating system, this means a proper install is usually the best way to get the packages registered and available. You can copy the binaries over, but generally the work needed to get them registered with the rpm database, set up paths, create default configs etc. makes it more work than is worthwhile.

If you don't want to install the packages over the network, you may find you've already got them on your installation DVD (if that's what you've used). Modern distributions come with a huge package set already available on their install media, so installation can be carried out without downloading extra stuff.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vahid_PC View Post
    hi.
    i have openSUSE 12.3 on my PC and i installed many apps on it.
    and now i want install openSUSE on my Laptop , and i dont want download all apps again. so please help me for how to copy apps from my PC to other Computers.
    You are better off just installing from scratch and downloading the apps again. The amount of effort needed to do what you are trying to achieve is more than just installing everything from scratch.

Just Joined!
    look guys :
    in Ubuntu , im copy all *.deb in "/var/cache/apt/archive" to my Laptop Ubuntu , and use code "sudo dpkg -i *.deb" to install all my PC apps on my Laotop.
    and now i want find a way for do this on openSUSE.

Ahh, so you want the installer packages (the .rpm's) not the installed binaries. It's unlikely that the packages will be cached like that. Yum should have a cache directory at /var/cache/yum, but I'd be surprised if there were any packages kept in there - there are certainly none on my Fedora system which uses yum too. I'm sorry to say that it looks like you need to get them off the install CD/DVD or download again from the Internet.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    In opensuse, the rpms are usually temporarily stored in /var/cache/zypper/RPMS.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by daark.child View Post
    In opensuse, the rpms are usually temporarily stored in /var/cache/zypper/RPMS.
    in 12.3 not found.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    You can try clonezilla to clone the system; however, you will still probably need to update the new system after installation/cloning. If the other system is already installed, then the major issue are the drivers. Assuming it is of the same architecture (cpu, etc), then copying your applications may work, but remember that an application (other than the simplest ones) include besides the executables, libraries, configuration files, and a lot of other cruft and dependencies which may reside in any of a thousand locations on your system discs. IE, usually you will need to re-install most applications from scratch.

As an example - I needed to clone a custom php installation from my development system to a server. It took me the better part of a day to get all the cruft worked out, and I STILL needed to rebuild the source code on the target machine!
    Vahid_PC likes this.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Like has been said. Your best option is a clean install and then install the apps you want on your laptop.

Trusted Penguin
    and in the future, set keepcache=1 in yum.conf, then packages will be saved to the directory defined by cachedir in yum.conf (e.g., /var/cache/yum/arch/blah/).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast