Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have install 13.1 on two laptops using the KDE live cd iso over the weekend. Just curious if anyone has installed it and did you have any issues. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Installing openSUSE 13.1

I have install 13.1 on two laptops using the KDE live cd iso over the weekend. Just curious if anyone has installed it and did you have any issues. I figured this was a good time to get any issues out in the open and fixes to help out those coming behind us.

In my experience I had to open Yast - System- and Partitioner and delete all current partitions on the hard drive and then install to avoid partitioning errors.

If you do like me and adjust swappiness, you can't simply do an Alt-F2 and enter kdesu kate if using KDE and get anywhere. You will first have to use yast or zypper and install kate. The once you add your swappiness value ie.. vm.swappiness=10 to /etc/sysctl.conf saving file and exiting kate will not produce a change. Once you edit /etc/sysctl.conf and enter the desired value you will need to save the file to /etc/sysctl.d as sysctl.conf.

There you go a couple of quirks, but no big deals.
    Last edited by bcbuch; 11-19-2013 at 04:55 AM.

Linux Newbie
    Can't you get the DVD install disc or can your laptops only handle CDs?

Yast tends to store things in its own files only building the real configuration files when it needs to. This can lead you to seeing values in Yast that are not the values actually being used by the system's configurations. I've had a few conversations with the Yast crew over this along the lines that I think they should be reading the actual configuration files rather than what they last saw in theirs. What they have said comes down to "that's the way it is" so there you go.

Part of the installation procedure is to partition the disc. I've never had the need to do it beforehand.

I am curious. Why are you changing the swappiness? Is it to achieve a particular performance profile?

All my laptops can run DVDs. My broadband is verizon home fusion with a 30GB limit and I exceeded that the last couple of months downloading ISO files which got a little expensive.

I opted for the KDE Live ISO figuring I would add and remove to suit my taste after install. Prior I had used the 13.1 Beta 1 DVD ISO for install with no partitioning issues, so I am working off the assumption that the issue I was dealing with is native to the Live CD. I opted for a clean install because I had some performance issues after removing the Beta DVD from my repositories and sudo zypper dup to get more current.

I adjust swappiness do to cut an unnecessary lag on start up as well as disabling default system stuff running at start up that is not needed.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    Ah OK.

Be aware that installing using the live CD will involve a lot of downloading.

In general, if I have special requirements for a given system, I will go in after the install is complete and tweak from there.

Actually the downloading wasn't bad. Ended up with a pretty basic KDE install that i removed kaffein and kmail from and installed vlc, Thunderbird, and a few other programs I like to use. I ran zypper up and all is good. Just getting the usual handful of updates every day or two, Pleased with the system so far. Now to get to my wife's running tumbleweed and upgrade it from 12.3 current to 13.1.