Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi guys. i have a asus n61jv notebook and it is contain nvidia gt325m graphic card. i use to OpenSuse 12.2 OS. i try to install nvidia graphic card driver. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Asus N61jv Nvidia Driver install problem

hi guys.

i have a asus n61jv notebook and it is contain nvidia gt325m graphic card. i use to OpenSuse 12.2 OS. i try to install nvidia graphic card driver. Driver is install with no problem but OS is open init level 3. and i try to change init level 5 but do not. OS is not starting XDM service. please help me!

sorry for my english is not better.
    thank you for help me!!!

Photo0002.jpg

photo0003.jpg
    Last edited by CanEzgi; 01-09-2014 at 06:49 PM.

At the end of the kernel line in GRUB2, at start-up (hold the left-hand Shift key down, hit "e" to get there), type in nomodeset and then hit F10 -- see if this does not give you a GUI.

Just Joined!
    thanks for reply

but i switch the gnome api and init level 5.

Linux Engineer
    XDM is pretty old and bare bones. Surely gdm would be default with OpenSuse? Were you playing around with different WMs?

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregm View Post
    XDM is pretty old and bare bones. Surely gdm would be default with OpenSuse? Were you playing around with different WMs?
    my system is using GDM but GDM is start to XDM service. am i right? i share to images with error page.Photo0002.jpgphoto0003.jpg

Linux Engineer
    There both display managers but I don't think GDM uses any of XDM's code - it's a replacement for it. They do both implement XDMCP.

Just Joined!
    maybe i added to image for system. i try to start rxdm in tty (some web site solve this problem) but i do not solve my problem. in addition to i try to xdm start, gdm start, init 5, nvidia-config ... and i add to nvidia device in xdm config but no solve

Linux Engineer

Just Joined!
    i try to gregm said but it is solving my problem. addition to i reinstall nvidia driver and renew nvidia-xconfig. but do not solve

Just Joined!
    SDB:NVIDIA drivers - openSUSE

Take a look at that page maybe it will help. I had two desktops and two laptops that had me pulling my hair out between opensuse 12.1 and 12.3. One desktop running nvidia, and the other 3 ati/intel.