Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to install openSUSE 13.1 to my hard disk. I'm using the Live DVD with openSUSE 13.1 32-bit w/Gnome. I have several other OS's on the hard disk ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How to install openSUSE WITHOUT replacing existing MBR & GRUB?

Hi,

I want to install openSUSE 13.1 to my hard disk. I'm using the Live DVD with openSUSE 13.1 32-bit w/Gnome.

I have several other OS's on the hard disk and do NOT want openSUSE to overwrite the harddisk MBR or replace my existing GRUB menu.

I intend to manually update my existing GRUB to point to openSUSE and include it in the grub bootup menu as a selectable OS.

What options do I pick from the openSUSE install menu for these two items:

Boot from MBR is disabled (enable)
    Boot from "/" partition is disabled (enable)

Thank you.

PS -- The defaults won't do what I want. They overwrote my MBR and booted directly into openSUSE without even presenting a bootup menu for selecting the OS.

Linux Guru
    I haven't installed 13.1 but, I would leave 'Boot from MBR disabled and enable 'Boot from "/" partition. Did you check the 'Boot Loader Options' tab? and the 'Boot Loader Installation Details' on the Booting page? There are probably more boot options on Opensuse than any distribution I've seen. Might have changed though as it has been several versions since I installed.

Linux Guru
    I am used to using grublegacy or grub4dos to boot grub2. I always use install grub to root (/) option and chainload grub2 with the other bootloader.

The reason is. Grub2 won't pick up frugal Linux installs like Puppy. So much for a script to run a script.

I need help with grub please!

title Semplice GNU/Linux, with Linux 3.2.0-3-486
    rootnoverify (hd1,1)
    chainloader +1

title Vector STD Gold 7 at /dev/sda2
    rootnoverify (hd0,1)
    chainloader +1
    grub2 chainload entries I made. Semplice sat on hard drive 2 partition 2. Vector sat on hard drive 1 partiton 2.
    Both Semplice and Vector installs when it came to installing grub. I pointed the grub install to the root folder/partition. Not MBR.
    Grub4dos or Legacy Grub or even Lilo are my preferences for grub loader on mbr over grub2.

Just personal preference in my statements. Use what ever makes you feel comfy.

Boot from "/" partition is disabled (enable)
    That is the one I would enable.

If using grub2 on mbr from another distro. Do not forget to run in the distro you installed grub to the mbr with
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    or as root in terminal
    Code:
    update-grub
    so it sees your Suse entry and adds it to grub2 boot screen listing.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you both for your help.

I tried like Yancek said.... leave the first line unaltered, and change the second to enable booting from "/". This worked fine.

Maybe I just had an off day, but it seems to me these questions could be worded better in the installer, maybe something like --

Do you want openSUSE to boot from the hard disk MBR record? (YES/no)
    Do you want openSUSE to boot from the "/" partition (YES/no)

with appropriate logic to manage the two options.

Thanks again for helping, the problem is solved now.

Linux Guru
    I'd agree it could be stated in a more clear fashion. Perhaps, do you want to install Grub to the master boot record or to the Opensuse filesystem partition. I've installed several fairly recent releases of Opensuse and have always overwritten the mbr. Not paying close enough attention I guess.

Just Joined!
    This variant, backup MBR and GRUB files, install, then restore, if you need you can modify it.