Find the answer to your Linux question:

Thread: XRDP vs VNC

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

XRDP vs VNC

Hi guys,

What are the pros and cons for XRDP and VNC in Linux? Which one is good and why?

Linux Engineer
    Best is simple X forwarding (source needs to have an X server) that is tunneled though a ssh connection.

Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Best is simple X forwarding (source needs to have an X server) that is tunneled though a ssh connection.
    Thanks man. This is one of it.

Actually, I am looking the pros and cons for both VNC and XRDP so that I can make decision which one should be installed in our Linux servers officially. If I install XRDP end users must use RDP remote desktop. If I install VNC server end users must VNC Viewer. However, I am looking the best of these 2 remote protocol.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Install X11 server and connect from Linux workstations. Not RDP or VNC needed. Did you know that VNC was created by a Typerwritter Company?

Quote Originally Posted by alf55 View Post
    Install X11 server and connect from Linux workstations. Not RDP or VNC needed. Did you know that VNC was created by a Typerwritter Company?
    How about connecting from windows workstations?

Linux Engineer
    Sorry, I can not help with Windows machines, never been there. I have used UNIX since 1976 and added Linux in 1992. For the work that I did Windows was not useful. It could not stay up long enough to lay out a design in a custom ASIC. And since then, I have always worked in a UNIX and/or Linux environment.

I hear that one can use PUTTY connect (without any graphics) or install CygWin (with an X server) and connect with both CLI and GUI access.