Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone I have a problem with OpenSuse 13.1. I installed it a couple of weeks ago. Almost every time I download something with Firefox KDE hangs for a minute ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

KDE hangs for a minute when downloading or when mounting USB

Hello everyone

I have a problem with OpenSuse 13.1. I installed it a couple of weeks ago. Almost every time I download something with Firefox KDE hangs for a minute or so.

I can still use Firefox or any other program, that is currently displayed when I don't have Firefox in full screen. I can not change programs via task manager, desktop switching does not work, ALT-F2 also not.

I can go to tty to go into the command line interface and run top to see what is going on. I saw several processes eating up my CPU. Those processes are:

- ksmserver
    - kmix
    - kded4
    - krunner
    - kglobalaccel
    - kactivitymanegerd
    - knotify4
    - plasma-desktop
    - klipper
    - polkit-kde-autheticate

I noticed the same thing when mounting an USB drive or when saving several emails from Thunderbird to the drive.

I had OpenSuse 12.1 before on this computer - no problems. Now I have a clean install of 13.1.

I tried to turn of nepomuk, but it didn't helped. I found no other clues of what my be the reason for this behavior.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanx

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    How big are the files you are downloading? Also, what kernel is this running (post output of uname -r here)?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    How big are the files you are downloading? Also, what kernel is this running (post output of uname -r here)?
    Kernel is: 3.11.10-17-desktop

Small files (for example a PDF less than 1MB) and KDE hanged for 4 minutes (sorry, "a minute" in the title was an understatement). I am downloading them into a costum directory on the drive (/data/local/ where a separate partition is mounted).

When I directly open the file in my PDF viewer, its fine. I know that the file is downloaded in some directory inside my home, I don't remember exactly where. So I tried to download the PDF inside my home folder and it was fine. Opened it - still fine. But when I clicked on "file->save copy as" and the save dialog was pointing again into "/data/local", KDE again freezes.

When I copy files from home to /data/local its working fine. I can open it and then when I save a copy of the file it freezes again.

Could there be some strange process running, that is is somehow checking all new files on all drives except home?

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    The problem may be either an issue with the drive where /data/local is mounted from, or how it is mounted. Please post the contents of /etc/fstab here. Also, when this happens, see if there is any indication in /var/log/messages that there may be a problem.

Just Joined!
    Well... that embarrassing! I solved the problem by rebooting the computer, which was quite a bit odd for me, because I usually reboot it once a year.

I think nepomuk file indexing was responsible for the problem. I did turn it off in system settings, but I forgot to log out and back in again.

I just hope that was really it and that the problem will not come back.

Thanks anyway

Glad you sorted it out. I don't use file indexing myself so I would never have thought of that.