Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Hi, I have a few questions: 1) Whats the difference between: - SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso - SUSE-Linux-9.2-mini-installation.iso Can both be installed offline? 2) Is there a way to install 'SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso' from a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE 9.2 Download

Hi,

I have a few questions:

1) Whats the difference between:

- SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso
    - SUSE-Linux-9.2-mini-installation.iso

Can both be installed offline?

2) Is there a way to install 'SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso' from a partition?

Thanks, any tips appreciated.

Tanker.

Re: SUSE 9.2 Download

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
    Hi,
    1) Whats the difference between:

- SUSE-Linux-9.2-FTP-DVD.iso
    - SUSE-Linux-9.2-mini-installation.iso

Can both be installed offline?
    No. The DVD ISO is meant to get your base system installed offline and then get anything else you need online through Yast/YOU or some other package manager.

The "mini-installation" ISO is what was traditionally released by SuSE, and is basically a boot disc that lets you connect to Novell and install completely via FTP.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks.

Can the DVD ISO be installed while it's on the hard disk? I've a 56k connection (!!) and would rather prefer to get the DVD one so I can just download it all at once, no connecting during setup.

Thanks.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Thanks.

Can the DVD ISO be installed while it's on the hard disk? I've a 56k connection (!!) and would rather prefer to get the DVD one so I can just download it all at once, no connecting during setup.

Thanks.
    If you have dial-up (I feel your pain) you're going to have trouble downloading either of the ISO files, since the DVD ISO is over 3GB (that's about a week solid of downloading at 56k speeds). Have you considered buying it from somewhere like LinuxISO or LinuxCD? It's not as cheap as downloading but you'd be saving a bundle on frustration and download time.

AFAIK you can install the DVD just fine offline, you only need a connection if you find other packages you need that aren't included on the downloadable DVD (the retail DVD has about 3,400 more pieces of software than the download edition).

If you mean can you install it from the .ISO file by mounting it, I have no idea. I've never tried it.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks,

Here's what I plan to do:

1 Partition - Windows XP
    1 Shared Partition (FAT32) - Win & Linux 'Heres where I plan to put the downloaded file'

Plus all partitions needed for linux, like swap etc...

So how can I go about installing it? How can I start the setup?

So how can I go about installing it? How can I start the setup?
    So I'm assuming you plan to try and download the ISO over your dial-up connection? If so, go with God. I wouldn't recommend it.

Do you not have a DVD-burner? The easiest way to install the DVD is to burn it using the ISO. There *may* be a way to mount it and run the install from the mounted ISO but that's beyond what I've played with, so I'll let someone else comment.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    I cannot buy it cause I dont have a credit card, and where I live, they don't have SuSE Linux (whole country).

Is it really worth the hassle? Are there any similar/better downloadable distros?

Thanks

I cannot buy it cause I dont have a credit card, and where I live, they don't have SuSE Linux (whole country).

Is it really worth the hassle? Are there any similar/better downloadable distros?

Thanks
    Yes, it's very much worth the hassle IMO. The point I was trying to make is that downloading ANY very large file (like a Linux distribution) is going to take forever on a dial-up connection, and that's only if you can keep connected. Not to mention possible file corruption. It's just not a very viable way to do it. If you have any other way to get the DVD or the ISO, do so.

SuSE is an excellent distribution, but if the only way you can get Linux is through a dialup connection you should perhaps look into a smaller distro, like Damn Small Linux.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe
    Yes, it's very much worth the hassle IMO. The point I was trying to make is that downloading ANY very large file (like a Linux distribution) is going to take forever on a dial-up connection, and that's only if you can keep connected. Not to mention possible file corruption. It's just not a very viable way to do it. If you have any other way to get the DVD or the ISO, do so.

SuSE is an excellent distribution, but if the only way you can get Linux is through a dialup connection you should perhaps look into a smaller distro, like Damn Small Linux.
    Yes I bought a Suse 9.2 Pro and it really worth it u got two guides and 6CDs and 2DVD nice bundle in fact.
    If u have only a dial-up connection, it will be a pain to d/l a distro so u could try to find one in some review (I found my first one like that)

So you can't get DVD without a dvd-burner ?
    So its better for me to get the MINI since I can get a more up to date SuSe 9.2 right?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast