Find the answer to your Linux question:
As a total newbie to Linux, I have loaded 9.2 and attempted to get the grub menu running as it would only boot from the installation CD. Now the PC ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux - GRUB on boot problem

As a total newbie to Linux, I have loaded 9.2 and attempted to get the grub menu running as it would only boot from the installation CD. Now the PC stops at GRUB after attempting to boot from CD.

I have two HDs on which I also run Win 2k and XP.

I can get into Suse via the CD boot (hence this post) but can't load XP either from the Suze menu.

I found this article http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19999.html
    but had trouble following it in Suse 9.2.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Many thanks

Just Joined!
    bump

Linux Guru
    Perhaps you can post your partitions information and grub.conf files here. If you can boot SuSE, run 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' as root. The switch following 'fdisk' there, is an L, as in list, not a one. Substitute the 'hda' for the correct designation for each of your hard drives. And when you say it "stops at grub", does that mean it looks like this:
    grub>
    or this:
    GRUB_
    ?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by drakebasher
    Perhaps you can post your partitions information and grub.conf files here. If you can boot SuSE, run 'fdisk -l /dev/hda' as root. The switch following 'fdisk' there, is an L, as in list, not a one. Substitute the 'hda' for the correct designation for each of your hard drives. And when you say it "stops at grub", does that mean it looks like this:
    grub>
    or this:
    GRUB_
    ?
    thanks (or grazie) drakebasher.

After a lot of reading (which I should've done maybe before my cry for help) it seems that Linux didn't/doesn't like the fact that I am running XP from a second hard disk (HD2) on which is the c drive.

All the Linux partitions are on HD1.

After the first install of Suse, Linux would only boot from the HD with the help of the installation CD. Without the Linux CD in place the PC would boot through to XP as normal.

What I wanted was a boot menu with options, so to try to achive this I turned around the boot order in Linux and then ran into the GRUB issue, even after reversing this back again.

The situation I had reached was that the PC was booting from the HD with the help of the Suse installation CD but GRUB was hanging immediately after the BIOS routines if there was no CD in the drive, with just the word "GRUB" (no punctuation of any sort) as the last word on screen. So I couldn't reach XP at all.

I've finally - with the help of Ultimate Boot Manager - got back to XP by restoring the MBR.

But what I would really like is to have a dual boot option because I am well impressed with Suse and would like to learn more.

Is my disk configuration the problem? Or can you recommend a good boot manager?

Mille grazie

ps where exactly do I "run" fdisk when I am in Suse?

Linux Guru
    Last things first: As long as you are in Linux and the drive(s) is/are physically connected (they don't even have to be mounted) then fdisk will find them. In fact, I just learned that you don't even have to tell fdisk which drive you're interested in, if you just want to -l (list) them. I have 3 drives in my system, one not mounted. If I run 'fdisk -l' I get a listing of partitions on all 3.

As for your drive configuration, Linux doesn't have a problem at all, it will be happy anywhere as long as it's configured correctly in grub. There are several ways to do this. The most common way is to let Windows be on the first drive so it will be happy, put Linux where ever you want and then setup grub to match. But that will require you to over-write the master boot record with grub's stage 1 and some people get creeped out about that. Just to get comfortable with that, you might want to read in this forum how easy it is to restore the Windows MBR if things get too messy.

Another way is to have a grub boot floppy. We'd have to figure out how to get into your Linux (I don't think you can do it from a live CD) and then it's easy: boot with a floppy and go to Linux, boot without and go to Windows.

Another way is to leave Windows on the second drive and just make sure that your grub section pointing to your Windows partition has the right "map" commands in it to fool Windows into thinking its really on the first drive.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better