Find the answer to your Linux question:
Can anyone please help me fill in the DHCP server wizard on Suse 9.2? This is for ADSL connection to the internet via a Netgear ethernet router, using a laptop ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DHCP set-up for internet on Suse 9.2

Can anyone please help me fill in the DHCP server wizard on Suse 9.2? This is for ADSL connection to the internet via a Netgear ethernet router, using a laptop which is not attached to any network.

I'm new to Linux but have already given up on installing my ADSL modem, having been told it was much easier via an ethernet router. But I still need help! I'm looking for answers to these questions:

Domain name
    The domain part of my e-mail address is globalnet.co.uk but the ADSL modem for Windows uses a completely different username, domain name and password. Which one should I put here? If it's the Globalnet one, should I write it as Globalnet or globalnet.co.uk?

Time Server
    What is this, do I need to include it and where can I find it?

Print Server
    What is this, do I need to include it and where can I find it?

WINS Server
    Am I right in thinking this should be left blank if the router is to be used only for Linux?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Tom

Use the domainname that your router/Windows box uses. The other servers are not needed. If you use them, you would know what to input.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    OK, I've done that. But I still can't make it work.

I go through the sequence and it ends up with "Restarting DHCP server" only reaching 66% and this message: "Error occurred while restarting DHCP daemon." I click OK and the next message says that saving the configuration failed.

Any advice what I should do next? I'm completely lost.

I tried downloading a driver for my USB modem but couldn't get it to work. Something to do with missing synch bins, apparently. Now I've spent a small fortune on this router to replace it because people said they're much easier to instal, and I've ended up even more confused.

Any (sensible) suggestions?

Tom

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Have you enabled IP forwarding?
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    VICTORY!!! I'm sending this from Linux via the ethernet router, so I've got everything to work. I've already gone to my football club's fan site (www.bsad.org for Watford, if you must know) and now I'm here.

Fantastic to be able to start work with this at last. My eternal gratitude goes to everyone who helped me get past the obstacles along the path.

Tom