Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, While I've been doing my research on the right Linux distro for myself. I've heard quite a few disadvantages of SuSE (such as limited control over the system, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE Disadvantages?

Hi,

While I've been doing my research on the right Linux distro for myself. I've heard quite a few disadvantages of SuSE (such as limited control over the system, and only though YaST).

Is there anything like that and what are the other disadvantages?

thanks.

Re: SuSE Disadvantages?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanker
    While I've been doing my research on the right Linux distro for myself. I've heard quite a few disadvantages of SuSE (such as limited control over the system, and only though YaST).
    If you would be so kind as to list these "quite a few" then I could give you a line-by-line rebuttal. I'm quite fond of SuSE for "quite a few" reasons, but the bottom line is that what one reviewer calls a "disadvantage" may very well be a "great feature" to someone else.

You can use any configuration tool you like in SuSE, it's just easier to use YaST. You can still configure KDE using the KDE Control Center, and you can still install/remove/update your software using other package managers like RPM/Apt/Yum. If someone told you otherwise, they're misinformed.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Suse 9.2 Boxed DVD and CDs MD5SUMs ?

I am NEW B to linux. Suse 9.2 is first purchased distro, but I bought the "student" version of Suse 9.2 direct from ShopNovell site for my son.

I am disappointed in this software and am wondering if the student version has different CDs from the full priced 9.2 set? Can anyone provide the MD5SUMs for the CDs that come in the Suse 9.2 box set so I can compare.

Too many things are broken.... monitor only comes up in 600 X 800;

mozilla email won't allow you to enter email addresses as the box is too big for the screen and can't be resized. Having difficulty with playing CD music.
    Sound works for web sites but not from CD.

Then tried to use Evolution and the font size stays the same when isntructed to change it.

Tried to use YAST to remove software and it isn't removed.

Have reloaded from scratch and still same problems.

Anyway, would like to know the MD5SUM for the 5 CDs in the Suse 9.2 boxed set so I can check mine.

As a former SuSE user I can only say that while SuSE has made a great effort to develop a wonderful configuration tool like Yast, in no way does SuSE restrict or limit the the user to 'have' to use it. There are plenty of confiuration tools that you can use to fiddle with SuSE and all of them work just fine.
    Ubuntu Jaunty :: Arch Linux (current) :: Acer Aspire 1692WMLi

Quote Originally Posted by zba78
    As a former SuSE user I can only say that while SuSE has made a great effort to develop a wonderful configuration tool like Yast, in no way does SuSE restrict or limit the the user to 'have' to use it. There are plenty of confiuration tools that you can use to fiddle with SuSE and all of them work just fine.
    I agree totally, if u do feel competent enough, you can always use something like vi or kwrite to change config files directly rather then thru a config tool such as YaST. though i do tend to use YaST as it's so much easier, and everything you are likely to need as a home user (i think) is there
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327