Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, when I start up KDE I get no sound . Just something like a quite noise in the background. When I look up my Sondcard (just an ordinary onBoard ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No Sound on SUSE9.1 - just something like "quite noise&

Hello,

when I start up KDE I get no sound . Just something like a quite noise in the background. When I look up my Sondcard (just an ordinary onBoard AC'97) in Yast suddenly I get sound just by checking the settings without changing anything. But everytime I restart the system I have the same problem. I don't think it's a solution to turn on Yast everytime I boot. I think of myself as an Newbie in Linux so I don't have any idea what to do.

Maybe someone knows a solution?

Thx.

Are you restarting cleanly? Is there a setting is YaST to have alsa remeber your sound settings?
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Just Joined!
    I don't get any error regarding the sound card while restarting, so I guess the restart is correct.
    The settings are saved. The funny thing is, I do not change any settings. Only viewing the settings makes the sound card running correctly.

Hrm...next time you reboot, see if artsd is running (before opening YaST). Also, run lsmod. Then open YaST and do your thing to get sound working...now check to see if artsd is running (if it wasn't before), and check lsmod again. If the lsmod outputs are different, add the modules that are in the second and not in the first to your /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy