Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question How to find its root reason after a down SuSE is back from a reboot

Dear All,

I got a new job and need to take care many SuSE 64bit server from OS side.But I am not very familiar with SuSE OS.

Is it similar to Centos 6?

Also how to find related root reason after a down SuSE is back from a reboot?

Would appreciate it much if you show any useful reply.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Well, your message is a bit abstract. Depending upon the version of Suse, it may be similar to either CentOS 6.x or 7.x. My server runs 6.8 and I run 7.3 in a VirtualBox VM. Specifically, what do you mean by "back from a reboot"? Are you saying that it doesn't come up to a login screen? Or what, exactly?
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Linux Guru
    i think op means that if a server crashes, and needs to be rebooted, and, supposing it reboots fine, where to find the reason for the previous crash.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    i think op means that if a server crashes, and needs to be rebooted, and, supposing it reboots fine, where to find the reason for the previous crash.
    In those cases, check in /var/log/messages is the usually path to take.

I was looking at this post and couldn't figure out how I could help. Systemd? Not? Logs ... one would think a server admin already investigated all possible logs before posting here?

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    I was looking at this post and couldn't figure out how I could help. Systemd? Not? Logs ... one would think a server admin already investigated all possible logs before posting here?
    Quite frequently, there are new sysadmins posting here who are just learning their chops, especially if they came from a Windows environment.

So first get the job then learn it? Would you be happy if schoolbus drivers were hired by same principle for instance? I used to be a manager and did hiring. I hired people who were qualified for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    So first get the job then learn it? Would you be happy if schoolbus drivers were hired by same principle for instance? I used to be a manager and did hiring. I hired people who were qualified for the job.
    Well, yes. Ditto here. However I keep seeing companies today hiring inexperience people simply because they are "cheaper". "Can you spell Linux? Ok. You are our new sysadmin!"...

Alright, I'm a cheap employer and will hire just anybody. Lets turn around and look at the same thing from employee viewpoint. Would you take a Linux sysadmin job if you even do not know where the logs are?

-->
    Google! (actually, I prefer duckduckgo) fewer ads.