Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am new to LINUX and have very basic questions. I am planning to install SUSE 9.2 pro on XP(hope the instllation goes off without any issues). I would ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

New to Linux....some basic clarifications required

Hi,
    I am new to LINUX and have very basic questions.
    I am planning to install SUSE 9.2 pro on XP(hope the instllation goes off without any issues).
    I would like to know if Antivirus/firewall software are required for LINUX OS...
    Do these come included with SUSE or would i have to buy them seperately????if so who are the best vendors providing security solutions for linux?????
    Cheers

Re: New to Linux....some basic clarifications required

Quote Originally Posted by khopdi
    Hi,
    I am new to LINUX and have very basic questions.
    I am planning to install SUSE 9.2 pro on XP(hope the instllation goes off without any issues).
    I would like to know if Antivirus/firewall software are required for LINUX OS...
    Antivirus software is not required for a Linux operating system at this time because quite simply no one is writing viruses for Linux. Firewall software is always a good idea, though. Guarddog is one that I've used in the past, but I'm sure everyone will chime in with their particular favorites. If you still want antivirus software, ClamAV or F-Prot might be worth looking at.

Do these come included with SUSE or would i have to buy them seperately????if so who are the best vendors providing security solutions for linux?????
    Cheers
    If you get the full version of SuSE (now available via FTP as well as the usual retail box) it comes with tons of software, including some firewall software. It may not be installed by default, but it's available on the CDs/DVDs. I'm not sure about antivirus though. Most any software you get for Linux is going to be free (no cost) or free (open-source), so you probably won't need to buy it from anyone.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

New to Linux....some basic clarifications required

Thnx for the quick info......
    i am all ready to join Linux family......
    Cheers

Suse, by default, has a firewall included, and it worked ok for me.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Suse, by default, has a firewall included, and it worked ok for me.
    how do you know its working fine for ya?

Just Joined!

Antivirus software not required for Linux operating system

I completely disagree. No disrespect, but most security experts will not agree that anti-virus software is not required for Linux systems.

Recommend F-prot for Linux.
    You can download an RPM here:

http://www.f-prot.com/download/home_...d_fplinux.html

Fill out the required parts of the form and download the rpm.

In an x-term:
    su
    password: /*enter password here*/

Make sure you're in the directory where you downloaded the f-prot rpm and type:
    rpm -ivh whatever_downloaded_file_is_named.rpm

Now you have f-prot! You'll have to learn how to use it, but that's another lesson.

Re: Antivirus software not required for Linux operating syst

Quote Originally Posted by goober
    I completely disagree. No disrespect, but most security experts will not agree that anti-virus software is not required for Linux systems.
    I'm all for being proven wrong. Could you show me some security experts that say anti-virus is needed in Linux? I'm genuinely interested to know.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Here's one link for you...

Do the research bro. Check it out for yourself. Google it.

Re: Here's one link for you...

Quote Originally Posted by goober
    Do the research bro. Check it out for yourself. Google it.
    Well, with all due respect, you contradict my opinion and then tell me to STFW. It would seem to follow logic that if *you* were the one that offered a conflicting opinion then the burden of proof would fall to you, not me.

For the record, however, I have *never* read any security professional that said antivirus software was necessary for Linux at this time. That's not to say it won't be necessary down the road, just that it's not a priority now.

The Register agrees with my original opinion, as does VNUNet.

The only dissenting opinion I could see was this one however since it came from the CEO of a company that's trying to sell antivirus software on Linux, I question the objectivity of his conclusions.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants