Find the answer to your Linux question:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0567&CatId=319 Its an MX4000 PCI. I looked it up on the SUSE hardware database and it listed as "unknown". Has anyone here used it and had 3-D support with SUSE ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can someone confirm this nvidia card works with 3-D?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...0567&CatId=319

Its an MX4000 PCI. I looked it up on the SUSE hardware database and it listed as "unknown". Has anyone here used it and had 3-D support with SUSE 9.2?

Linux Engineer
    if you use the driver from nvidia.com you'll have 3d support for sure. i googled that specific video card and it seems there are some issues with the newest nvidia driver, however (6629). go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html for the archive of past drivers and download 6111 or something older. but first try 6629 to see if it works - you might be lucky.

Just Joined!
    So its not advised to use the one that shows up on YAST? I don't know how to un-install anything on SUSE at this point, so I don't want to make any mistakes.

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by denzilla
    So its not advised to use the one that shows up on YAST? I don't know how to un-install anything on SUSE at this point, so I don't want to make any mistakes.
    well it would be best to use the official nvidia driver. i'm sure the one that SaX provides you with will work (if there actually is one specific to your card). but it might not support 3d, though i'd be surprised if it didn't. try using the one that SaX recommends. if it doesn't work, the kind people here at LinuxForums.org will help you install the official driver from nvidia.com. so don't worry about making mistakes (unless it's your only access to posting questions in the LF forums). but even so, anything is fixable, and that card does seem like it would work, but i'm not going to make any 100% guarantees.

Just Joined!
    Yast installs the official nvidia driver if you go to Online Update.

Quote Originally Posted by denzilla
    It's advised to use the nvidia driver that is in the Yast Online update list, I've never had problems with it.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Quote Originally Posted by dylunio
    It's advised to use the nvidia driver that is in the Yast Online update list, I've never had problems with it.

dylunio
    It's *advised* to use Yast Online Update (YOU) for your 3D driver but, I don't *recommend* it personally. I've never had a card work with that method, whereas if you learn how to install the official Nvidia driver manually, it's the same for any distribution you try it on in the future.

Just my experience. As usual, your mileage may vary.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Guru
    I agree with techiemoe, and it's not at all difficult to install the nvidia drivers. Just read them through all the way once, and then follow the instructions. You'll learn a lot more!!

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Ya the installer is pretty easy. Just install your kernel-source (should be an RPM) then log into root, switch to init 3 (command init 3), start the installer and when it asks for kernel-source point it to /usr/src/linux/ and then edit ur /etc/xorg.conf (or /etc/XF86.conf or something like that) file like the readme says (look for nv and replace with nvidia, if i remember correctly).