Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been running 9.0/9.1 now for about a year and I was wondering how many people have switched to 9.2, and if there is any word if they are ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Novell - 9.2 and future

I have been running 9.0/9.1 now for about a year and I was wondering how many people have switched to 9.2, and if there is any word if they are going to make Suse a pay distro?

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Re: Novell - 9.2 and future

Quote Originally Posted by utahcon
    I have been running 9.0/9.1 now for about a year and I was wondering how many people have switched to 9.2, and if there is any word if they are going to make Suse a pay distro?
    Umm.. SuSE has always been a pay distro. Only recently was a free ISO made available. Perhaps I'm not understanding what you mean by "making it a pay distro"?

That being said, I love SuSE 9.2 Pro. I also bought 9.1 Pro and loved it too. I have used nothing but the retail boxed versions.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Free Distros

Suse has always had a free if you download it with no support distro. To my understanding.

Did you buy the boxed distro or download?

Re: Free Distros

Suse has always had a free if you download it with no support distro. To my understanding.
    Well, not quite. To my knowledge SuSE has always offered a free FTP install, meaning you basically had to roll your own or download a small "mini-install" CD that allowed you to download the packages from SuSE. The FTP install is released roughly 2 months after the retail boxes ship.

With SuSE 9.2 being released to the FTP sites this month, Novell also released an ISO for a DVD install of SuSE 9.2 Pro. Previously (and only for version 9.1) the only "freely-downloadable" version of SuSE was 9.1 Personal. AFAIK there has never been another "freely-downloadable" version of SuSE. This is why I was confused by your comment about if they were going to "make SuSE a pay distro". By my understanding, it's always been that way.

Did I completely miss the meaning of your original statement? What exactly did you mean by "any word if they're going to make SuSE a pay distro?"

Did you buy the boxed distro or download?
    As I stated above, I bought the retail box.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Are they making it a pay distro.

Well, I mean it is going to be all pay distro now that Novell has their fingers in the pot.

I like Novell but I like a free OS better.

Well, I mean it is going to be all pay distro now that Novell has their fingers in the pot.
    I don't think so, all the cd's (exept 9.1 personnal) I believe have been pay-for ones, and then they releas an ftp of the distro later. This is what Novel have done with 9.2, the same as it was with 9.1 pro;

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

no... not for us but for corparations yes but even then they wont be charging for the distro they will be charging for the support...(however you wont beable to buy the enterprise stuff without the support package but it is mostly all available for d/l it just wont come all configged for you) that is where they will make there money...that is where the real money is software has always been made...it is just that mr.bill..er sir bill (@#$%) trumped everyone and charged for the product and the support....but the meek shall inherit thy earth!
    .<<<< think dancing Tux!
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Thanks, all good in my mind now.