Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am finally commited to Suse 9.2 after trying so many other distros. I am really new to Linux and trying to get the MS Monkey off my back. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Frustrated - Need help setting up dual boot

I am finally commited to Suse 9.2 after trying so many other distros. I am really new to Linux and trying to get the MS Monkey off my back. I played with Suse 9.0 on an older machine I have around my house and was please with it compared with the other distros I've experimented with; Mandrake, Xandros, Knoppix, Redhat and Fedora.

Problems:
    I have a Sager 5690 Laptop and I'm trying to set up a dual boot system. I need XP for work and I need Linux for home. I currently have XP setup on my system and have used Partition Magic to establish a drive for Suse but the first time I installed Suse 9.2 it made my XP system inoperable and no matter what I did I couldn't recover the drive. So I re-install XP from a ghost that I had but this time I reserved room on the drive for the swap drive and room for Suse. Then I tried to reload Suse on that drive and it wouldn't boot or give me the option to choose. I tried to manual set Grub and that failed and XP went right on booting as if Suse wasn't loaded at all.

Second problem. I tried to set the partition table using the Suse install disk but it wants to be the first drive and will not allow me to chose any other drive. So I moved XP to the last drive hoping that would cure the problems but then Suse would load with no choice for XP

Third problem. I scubbed my drive and set the first drive allocated Suse swap and the second for / and then the 3rd for XP, Suse will only allow me to format that XP drive with FAT and Grub failed to load

I tried to back door the install program by first installing Suse and then install XPand the empty 3rd drive using XP to bootup but the installed system locked my system up and nothing would load.

Currently, I'm about 10 hours into trying to get this thing to work and I really need help. The wife is starting to get a little upset that i'm spending so much time getting something like this to work.

I am really familar with Windows and dying to get my feet wet with Linux. I really need step by step instructions from start to finish on setting this system up. Please be basic I am trying to understand all the terminology and most of which seems really foriegn but i'm quick to learn.

My system:

Pentium 4 - 3.2G
    Hdd - 80gig
    Video- ATI 9700 128Mb
    Ram - Dual bus 800mHz
    Internal Atheros a/b/g wifi

Please help
    Thanks

Just Joined!
    install XP first...

then using partition magic first make a new blank partition on ur HDD of whatever space u want or keep free space un allocated .....

then install suse 9.2 ....see that u install suse on the above partition.....

thats it.. i did this and my pc is configured properly

Just Joined!

I need more information

I tried that and Suse wanted to over write the XP HD, spit the whole drive by 35gig. Using the other drive was not an option under Suse, it wanted the first partition, XP.

I need to know when you get to the screen for setting the partition what to do because nothing i've tried seem to work.

Thank You

Linux Newbie
    Use Partition Magic to resize your NTFS partition and make it (let's say) 20 GB smaller. In the 20GB space create a SWAP partition and a / partition formatted ReiserFS and SuSE will install just fine.

Just Joined!
    while installing suse 9.2 a scrren comes where SUSE 9.2 automatically detects all setup information....like timezone.....partition info.....mouse....keyboard....packages......etc.. In that screen there is a change button...and a next button....so instead of pressing the next botton click the change button....and a menu boc\x will pop up where u can select partitioning......

Just Joined!

I need a step by step configuration

Sumeet

At that screen you're talking about, I tried to set the partitions because SuSe wanted to partition my drive into two separate 35 gig and set the window's partition to in-active.

When I first started this install, I allowed Suse to install over XP and I couldn't acess XP and the system 32/root for XP was locked. I had to remove Suse all together and setup the XP drive again in order to see that drive.

I tried to manually change the partition table under Suse and that didn't work because Suse wanted to be the first drive and XP didn't want to boot from the last.

So what I need, it a step by step solution to this problem, a list of what I would see and how to properly set this up. When you get to that promt exactly what do I do configure both operating system to work via grub.

Thanx

Just Joined!

I need a step by step configuration

Sumeet

At that screen you're talking about, I tried to set the partitions because SuSe wanted to partition my drive into two separate 35 gig and set the window's partition to in-active.

When I first started this install, I allowed Suse to install over XP and I couldn't acess XP and the system 32/root for XP was locked. I had to remove Suse all together and setup the XP drive again in order to see that drive.

I tried to manually change the partition table under Suse and that didn't work because Suse wanted to be the first drive and XP didn't want to boot from the last.

So what I need, it a step by step solution to this problem, a list of what I would see and how to properly set this up. When you get to that promt exactly what do I do configure both operating system to work via grub.

Thanx

If you have XP installed already, you have 2 options, you can create another logical drive(do not format it), and put SUSE there.
    Or if XP takes up the entire drive, you can install SUSE, and let it resize XP(defrag Windows before doing this).
    SUSE has a great automatic partitioning tool. And when you select the partitioning part of the install, it should give you a scheme where you can keep your Windows.
    In either case Partition Magic is not necesary.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    I just used the partitioning options that came with the SUSE installation CD. I've used it successfully on both a single- and dual-drive systems and it worked flawlessly. Here's what I did:

Once you have XP installed and defragmented (ideally with Diskkeeper's boot-time defragmentation using the 'Directory Consolidation' and 'Reduce Paging File Fragments' options), go under SUSE's custom partitioning option that loads up with CD1 (or DVD1). It'll tell you which device (mine was hda1) is your Windows drive. You can then type in the size you wish to change the Windows/Linux partitions to or merely move the slider bar with your mouse. It will then show you the "old" and "new" partitions via bar graphs.

Again, it worked without a hitch and I'm dumber than a stump.

Or something like that.

Just Joined!

Dualboot on a Satellite A60

Hi,
    I had a lot of problems too while installing Suse 9.2 . It went perfectly for Suse, which recognizes a lot of hardware, including the Atheros Wifi, BUT I couldn't boot XP anymore !
    After days of searching, here is the solution that works : don' t use Suse's integrated partition manager Qtparted, it makes the XP partition unbootable, but use Mandrake's DISKDRAKE to make a smaller partition for XP, create linux partitions and reboot with Suse's installation dvd, and all will be ok !

Greetings

Robert Dervaux

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast