Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
I have successfully installed Suse 9.02 although I am a complete newbie to Linux! :P It is installed on a bespoke desktop on it's own 20B hard disk with over ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Suse installed OK but oh so slooooowwwww

I have successfully installed Suse 9.02 although I am a complete newbie to Linux! :P

It is installed on a bespoke desktop on it's own 20B hard disk with over 500mb of RAM. The system monitor reads cpu 100% idle; mem 372mb idle; swap 98% free.

I go and make a coffee while it loads up, it is so slow and from then on it is so labourious!

To make matters worse I am at present I am on dialup waiting for my line to be cleared by BT to sign up for a new provider, so all in all I feel like I am having teeth pulled to use Suse, any ideas what I have done wrong?

Just Joined!
    Might be a problem with ACPI, like the one I had. As a test, at bootup type 'acpi=off' and see if its quickens up. If so, reply and ill give you the solution

Linux User
    And how fast is your CPU? I could never get SuSE to run very well on my 450MHz box, and decided to go with a lighter weight distro, as SuSE seemed more geared towards newer computers
    If your computer is new, though theres no reason that it shouldn't work

I found Suse (9.1) about as fast as windows XP (on the same machine, I ran dual-boot), but the startup was slower than XP. I now run Mepis, which is quite a bit faster (both on startup and afterwards). I have since switched from KDE to Xfce, and now there is no comparison, linux is just so much faster than XP.

One way to get your sistem to boot faster is SysV-init, a program which shows all of the processes that run at startup. You can choose which ones you don't need to be run (very simple to use).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Just Joined!

Suse

Thank you for your responses, a lot I am afraid I don't understand! Sounds stupid but on Windows OS I am considered an expert, even had my own IT business but Linux completely foxes me, at present.

What I am going to do is to install Mandrake on my PC and see if that runs any faster, which is a shame cos I love the look and feel of Suse, but I will see if Mandrake runs any faster.

PS I am not concerned with the slow boot and startup cos I can go and get my coffee it is the sluggish way is responds when up and running

Re: Suse

Quote Originally Posted by Answerslady

What I am going to do is to install Mandrake on my PC and see if that runs any faster, which is a shame cos I love the look and feel of Suse, but I will see if Mandrake runs any faster.

PS I am not concerned with the slow boot and startup cos I can go and get my coffee it is the sluggish way is responds when up and running
    Please let us know your results with Mandrake. Your issue with SUSE is unusual. I run all Win 9.x up to XP and in all cases SUSE (9.2 in my case) is considerablly faster in all respects.

If you do return with the same issue I think you'll find lots of help available here.

Linux Engineer
    one solution with so much memory is turning your swap drive off, with 512M of ram you really do not need a swap and your comp will run much faster from memory and not from swap, so you could either type swapoff /dev/hda2 (substituting the 2 for whatever drive your swap is)

Or, you could open your /etc/fstab and comment out the swap line with a # at the beginning of the swap line and then reboot--it should be noticeably faster, with that much ram any system should be fast.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Linux Newbie
    If you are using an IDE hard drive this information may be of help in speeding things up a bit..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Just Joined!

Linux re-install

Thanks you all again for your responses, I tried Mandrake 10.1 but it does not like my serial modem, US Robotics, which is fine with WinXP and Suse, so I am trying to get back to Suse but it won't give me a reliable install!

I keep on getting a failure on the boot manager, it gives a gn??? error message and when I try a repair install it finds a problem which it can't fix, so I try a full reinstal but it collapses again on reboot!

Oh the pleasures of computers,

I am posting this using the serial modem on WinXP!

Just Joined!

I'm not stupid but!

Quote Originally Posted by genesus
    one solution with so much memory is turning your swap drive off, with 512M of ram you really do not need a swap and your comp will run much faster from memory and not from swap, so you could either type swapoff /dev/hda2 (substituting the 2 for whatever drive your swap is)

Or, you could open your /etc/fstab and comment out the swap line with a # at the beginning of the swap line and then reboot--it should be noticeably faster, with that much ram any system should be fast.
    I am back to Suse, after completely reformatting my hard disk and it seems better but a little extra tweaking won't hurt.

So being a Linux stupid, where do I type this?

Sorry but I am a complete newbie to Linux but I do want to learn as I am so fed up upgrading PCs to keep up with WinOS and am sick and tired of viruses, popups, adware etc!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast