Find the answer to your Linux question:
Thanks to retiredlaf for helping me find a download of Firefox, does anyone know a similiar link to Kaffeine and libdvdss2? Kaffeine 4 is in the distro but doesn't play ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Looking for Kaffeine & libdvdss2

Thanks to retiredlaf for helping me find a download of Firefox, does anyone know a similiar link to Kaffeine and libdvdss2? Kaffeine 4 is in the distro but doesn't play DVD's, says you have to download the full version and I know I'll also need libdvdss2. I know how to get them for Mandrake but not SuSE.

Martin,

Dublin, Ireland
    LINUX: Where do you want to go.......Tomorrow!

Registered Linux user 396633

Linux Newbie
    If your goal is to play DVDs, mplayer is able to do that..
    click here
    I haven't found a way (in the united states) to make kaffeine play (scrambled) DVDs.
    I've stopped looking since I've gotten mplayer working..

Check his location, hes not in the US
    I was aware of that ("Martin from Dublin"). Location has an aspect to do with DVD descrambling,
    that's why I stated my location..

I followed the steps in that post prior to installing mplayer btw and they didn't work for me..
    If (exoskeleton || (green && wiggles)) eat_it();

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by shalamabobbi
    I haven't found a way (in the united states) to make kaffeine play (scrambled) DVDs.
    Check his location, hes not in the US

look here for libdvdcss http://cambuca.ldhs.cetuc.puc-rio.br/xine/

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by shalamabobbi
    I was aware of that ("Martin from Dublin"). Location has an aspect to do with DVD descrambling,
    that's why I stated my location..

I followed the steps in that post prior to installing mplayer btw and they didn't work for me..
    Thwey worked great for 9.1, 9.2 I'm having some problems getting it to work

Linux Engineer
    Install apt-get for suse (just google for it), together with synaptic, the front-end, then you will be able to install every software you want. It's a piece of cake with that. When apt-get is installed, just open a terminal, become root, type 'apt --no-checksig install [program you're looking for]. It will check the available repositories for the sw, if it founds it it will be installed.

First you have to login to SuSE as root though, remove libxine, xine-ui and kaffeine. Then you run apt and search for those packages again. The SuSE-versions have been crippled so they cannot play dvd's. For Kaffeine i recommend though that, after installing the most recent libxine and xine-ui, you just install the version 0.4 from the dvd/cd, for the 0.6 you will need to upgrade KDE, which might be kinda tricky I'm a newbie also, i didn't try.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **