Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am a new Linux user, using Suse 9.2 Forgive me for my stupidity, but i have no idea how to install programs at all that i've downloaded off the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HOW To install downloaded programs??

I am a new Linux user, using Suse 9.2

Forgive me for my stupidity, but i have no idea how to install programs at all that i've downloaded off the net.. for example, i downloaded xmms-1.2.8.tar.gz and i have unzipped this file into a directory, but i am not sure how to install it.. ive been reading it can be done via YAST 2, im assuimg via the 'Install new programs' menu, but when i type the directory and the file extension, it is saying no file or directory found.. Also, ive tried running it via the Run command, using the shell util, and its not working either.. could someone please help me out

Much appreciated..

Sabih, Yast can only install .rpm files (just cick on the file and then 'Install with YaST"), a great tutorial on how to install all the main linux software types is here

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    Hello! I recently reinstalled Linux as a full time OS, I have been out of the Linux world for awhile now and never was to in depth enough with it. I am greatly enjoying the cross over but of course, many questions and minor trials and tribulations pursue. Right now I don't have all the time I would like to put into learning the ins and out of Linux but I am working on it. ATM, I have just cut myself off cold from other operating systems, and have figured out everything I have needed so far.

My first question is other distros I used before I mainly compiled programs, currently I am using SuSE 9.1 build and plan on starting and learning with it. I have read many informative installation guides, but they all seem to lack the word SuSE, I know how there are pre-built SuSE packages. I was wondering how you compile a package or a ".tar.gz", ".tar.bz2", or ".zip" file to make it SuSE installable. I have seen many of the most common packages on sites like packman, but I would like to know how to do it all myself so I can make my own and learn from the experience. If anyone can give me a good guide or reference on this please post it! If you would like to use a program as an example what would be great also.

Michael J

Just Joined!
    basically suse uses rpm packages. so just download them and yast will install them. you might have to get the dependencies though. this is a good link for getting the packages. http://rpm.pbone.net/

Quote Originally Posted by seeds
    basically suse uses rpm packages. so just download them and yast will install them. you might have to get the dependencies though. this is a good link for getting the packages. http://rpm.pbone.net/
    Instead of downloading apps, try installing them through yast first, that will handle dependencies for you, and it does have a LOT of applications in it.

That's why the FTP mirror is 15GB!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

rpm is an installer file. It is packaged differently than a tar or zip file. there is a package rpmbuild that you can take source code and make it installable. But this take a little more linux experience than your basic newbie has.

Re: HOW To install downloaded programs??

Quote Originally Posted by Sabih
    I am a new Linux user, using Suse 9.2

Forgive me for my stupidity, but i have no idea how to install programs at all that i've downloaded off the net.. for example, i downloaded xmms-1.2.8.tar.gz and i have unzipped this file into a directory, but i am not sure how to install it.. ive been reading it can be done via YAST 2, im assuimg via the 'Install new programs' menu, but when i type the directory and the file extension, it is saying no file or directory found.. Also, ive tried running it via the Run command, using the shell util, and its not working either.. could someone please help me out

Much appreciated..
    Just to put in my 2 cents...

If you want to install programs that ship as .tar or .gz first uncompress them. You can right-click and choose 'Extract Here' to extract to the current folder. Then look thru the extracted files for an INSTALL or a README file. Almost always the programmer will put instructions on how to compile the program in these files. Just follow those instructions. You'll need to type in the commands in a console window to compile the program.

RPMs make the world an easier place for newbies like you n me but at some point in time you will need to face the .tar or .gz installations. Dont worry its not too difficult..

-gwyneth..

Re: HOW To install downloaded programs??

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    If you want to install programs that ship as .tar or .gz first uncompress them. You can right-click and choose 'Extract Here' to extract to the current folder. Then look thru the extracted files for an INSTALL or a README file. Almost always the programmer will put instructions on how to compile the program in these files. Just follow those instructions. You'll need to type in the commands in a console window to compile the program.

RPMs make the world an easier place for newbies like you n me but at some point in time you will need to face the .tar or .gz installations. Dont worry its not too difficult..

-gwyneth..
    Source files seem very daunting for a newbie, i know this from when i was a newb, if i downloaded something in tar.gz format, i would hunt for an rpm for it. hehe

But now havin used it for a few yeard, and also havin made the switch to gentoo (doesn't use rpm) i kinda had to use sources, although portage does sort most of it all out. But i think i could install most simple programs from source now.

Most of them are the same, just run:

Code:
    ./configure <maybe with options>
    make
    make install
    The only differences u will find with apps (i think) is that u may have to pass some options to some apps.

Just Joined!
    i think i'm right in saying that if using suse 9.1 personal you'd need to install the c complier and make command.

Quote Originally Posted by Morse
    i think i'm right in saying that if using suse 9.1 personal you'd need to install the c complier and make command.
    I think you are tight, though you may find the 9.1 personal CD's dont have them, so add an online source for 9.1pro and install them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast