Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've recently installed SuSE, and while I love it, I am having difficulties with getting packages installed. A friend recommended to me that I somehow configure YaST to use an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Getting Packes Not From CD with YaST

I've recently installed SuSE, and while I love it, I am having difficulties with getting packages installed. A friend recommended to me that I somehow configure YaST to use an FTP as opposed to the original DVD (which is what I need to do, as I have what I need from the DVD).

How exactly does one go about this? When I go to YaST's "Change Source of Installation", I have the option to add an HTTP or FTP. However, adding ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386 doesn't work, and I don't know what else I can possibly add.

If anyone can help me through with this, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Hi Cabhan,

I don't have Suse installed anymore, but I did and didn't have a problem setting up an ftp source for yast. Go to Yast > Change Source of Installation (something like that) > Add. I am not sure if I am using the right words here, but for server (the top textbox of the two), put ftp.suse.com and for directory (the bottom textbox of the two) put pub/suse/i386/9.2/. This is assuming you are using 9.2 on a computer with the x86 architechture (common pc I believe). If that doesn't work, try removing the slash at the end of the directory (not sure if that needs to be there).

If that doesn't work, let me know and i'll see what I can find. If you are using a different architecture or version, substitue them according to the names on the ftp server.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Alrighty, yeah, I ended up putting in a mirror with that process because it was taking 3.5 years to access ftp.suse.com.

The only thing is that the packages still seem really outdated. Gaim is version 0.82 or something like that, whereas the Gaim website has downloadables of 1.2.1. Wine also is like that, with the November 2004 package being available in YaST.

Are the SuSE mirrors updated at the same rate as the official SuSE site? Or do SuSE packages just take 42 years to update?

Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Alrighty, yeah, I ended up putting in a mirror with that process because it was taking 3.5 years to access ftp.suse.com.
    SuSE Dont tend to like you accessing their ftp site directly. Plus if ur not in Germany (where i assume the ftp server is) Then u could be gettin large pings. It's always worth usin a mirror rather than the real server.... the mirrors are as good quality, and you can more than likely get a mirror closer to you.

I think SuSE mainly want their ftp server accessed by mirrors, for updating mirrors, this could be why it was really slow.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Hi Cabhan,

Sorry, I should have told you about the mirrors. You can find a list of them here (http://www.novell.com/products/linux...t_mirrors.html). There are quite a few complete ones on this website which will likely be relatively close to you. You could also search Google for Suse Yast sources that are close to you as well.

Hope that helps,
    Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    Hey, check this out. I ran across it awhile back when I was getting into linux and saved the link.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/11504.html