Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hy, i am kind of new to linux. I just installed suse 9.1 on my athlon xp machine, and everything worked good, i did a full update (yast2 + apt4suse). ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kde doesnt start, i need help

Hy, i am kind of new to linux.

I just installed suse 9.1 on my athlon xp machine, and everything worked good, i did a full update (yast2 + apt4suse). And after that, when i rebooted, kde didnt start and i get smth like this printed:

failed to connect to X server.
    $display not available
    kde shutting down.

I assume it has something to do with the display monitor, i tryed to tweak the kde-config but no results.

my display is samsung synsmaster 755dfx.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help in advance

SuSE has a handy little program that will help you configure your X environment (which is what KDE needs to run). Log in as root and run:

Code:
    SaX2
    A graphical window will come up and let you configure things like monitor resolution, mouse driver, 3D acceleration, etc. If you're not worried about getting 3D working right now, you have the option when SaX2 first starts up to just use the default settings (click the "Use these settings" button). Then simply exit without making any changes and you should have a functional desktop the next time you boot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks for that tip, but now i get another error message at test stage:

(WW) open apm failed ( /dev/apm_bios) ( no such device)
    (EE) no device detected

I dont get it. I didnt erase nothing, i just updated

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkec
    Thanks for that tip, but now i get another error message at test stage:

(WW) open apm failed ( /dev/apm_bios) ( no such device)
    (EE) no device detected

I dont get it. I didnt erase nothing, i just updated
    What do you mean by "test stage"? Also, what kind of display card do you have? Can you post the contents of your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf files?
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Ok it is up and running now, but i cant change the refresh rate. it is fixed to 60 hz
    And i hate 60 hz, cause i get heavy headaches after this, so i have to fix it. how?

Quote Originally Posted by Malkec
    Ok it is up and running now, but i cant change the refresh rate. it is fixed to 60 hz
    And i hate 60 hz, cause i get heavy headaches after this, so i have to fix it. how?
    Refresh rates are determined in your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 or /etc/X11/xorg.conf files. You'll have one or the other, depending on what all you updated. SuSE 9.1 used XF86Config, 9.2 uses xorg.conf. Look for a section marked "Display"
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Did you, by any chance, install the nvidia driver from YOU on a system that runs a non-nvidia card? That would cause your problem (and I've seen quite a few people do it by accident). If that's the case, modifying the files techiemoe mentioned so that x uses the proper driver for your card would fix the problem.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Nope, i have radeon 9600 pro and no display drivers installed.

Could you post the content of your x config file? Techiemoe listed the two things they might be in his post above.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    It is fine, it is working at 85hz. It was strange, cause the type of monitor that i have is not supported in sax2, but i chose a monitor with similar name and now it is working. Thanks for you efford. Are there drivers for ati graphic cards and how to install them?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast