Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im pretty new to SuSE had it for couple days now, it was pretty easy to setup a network w/ my Windows XP comp w/ this SuSE comp, but one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

PRinter Help

Im pretty new to SuSE had it for couple days now, it was pretty easy to setup a network w/ my Windows XP comp w/ this SuSE comp, but one thing that didnt work was that i couldnt print to the printer connected to me XP. I have Samba cuz it came w/ SuSE, but how do i configure it to print to my other printer? plz if your gonna answer write it like yourr explaining to a baby, cuz i kno nothing about linux. thnx

Re: PRinter Help

Quote Originally Posted by aznboi12321
    Im pretty new to SuSE had it for couple days now, it was pretty easy to setup a network w/ my Windows XP comp w/ this SuSE comp, but one thing that didnt work was that i couldnt print to the printer connected to me XP. I have Samba cuz it came w/ SuSE, but how do i configure it to print to my other printer? plz if your gonna answer write it like yourr explaining to a baby, cuz i kno nothing about linux. thnx
    I'll assume you have or know how to configue your XP for a peer 'workgroup' and have set for file and printer sharing.

Using YAST->Network Services, setup Samba Client so that it has the same name as what you set up in XP for the peer network. There is a Browse button there and you can try it to see if it finds your XP box but don't worry if it does not see anything.

Then setup Samba Server which has a bit more to it. I am not at a Linux box now so don't recall exactly the labeling but it is likely that you can accept the defaults for what gets shared, type of Controller, etc. Note the 3 tabs at the intial configuation window. Set to start Smb Server at startup is on the first tab. I don't recall now about the other two but I believe they were intuitive.

After you're finished there go to terminal and get in the su mode and type:
    Code:
     smbpasswd -a <username>
    For <username> I suggest you use the same login you use on the XP box. You will then be prompted for a password. When you log in from your XP box and need to get to your Linux box you will need to use the above username/pword.

Sometimes this takes more tweaking. patience and grunt work to get it all to work right but hopefully this will get you connected and on your way.
    registered Linux user #388382

Have you checked here first?