Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im trying to set up my wirelless conection, but i dont understand much of linux. So i have to ask these questions: 1. How do i know if my hardware ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless Connection

Im trying to set up my wirelless conection, but i dont understand much of linux. So i have to ask these questions:

1. How do i know if my hardware is compatible with linux? (it is compatible with Windows, ive tested that.) If it is compatible where do i find the apropriated software?
    2. Is the "KWIfiManager" the (or an) adequate software?
    3. If i can set up the wirelessin Linux it wont interfire with Windows connection?

1. You can try typing in your hardware and linux in a google search and see if it works. If not then look at ndiswrapper which is a linux program that utilizes windows drivers to make your hardware work with linux.

2. linux and windows systems can co-exists peacefully. No problem with internet or anything else...if they start beating each other up just give them a timeout. lol.

3. and I don't know what KWifiManager is so can't help you there.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Re: Wireless Connection

Quote Originally Posted by jlrmartins
    Im trying to set up my wirelless conection, but i dont understand much of linux. So i have to ask these questions:

1. How do i know if my hardware is compatible with linux? (it is compatible with Windows, ive tested that.) If it is compatible where do i find the apropriated software?
    2. Is the "KWIfiManager" the (or an) adequate software?
    3. If i can set up the wirelessin Linux it wont interfire with Windows connection?
    What linux distro is it
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    rl4
    Just Joined!
    go here and determine which chipset your particular card has.

http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

then install the driver that corresponds. My orinoco has an atheros chipset so I used the madwifi driver that came with my suse 9.2pro distro. Just take your time, don't get frustrated, and keep it simple and go in small steps. Install what you need (driver, wireless tools, etc), then configure. Since you are in the SUSE forum, I am hoping you are running that distro, so try YaST and see if your card is recognized to start. If so, try to configure it from there. You should keep your AP open with a simple essid until you can get connected, then move on to setting up security measures. Also, ndiswrapper comes with the SUSE distro. Use that only if you have to, it is really a workaround.

go here for a great starting place for how to install and where to find the correct driver, as well as a myriad of information.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_.../Wireless.html

hope this helps.