Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I'm not entirely sure if this is what you want, or even what you're asking, but whenever I want to change window managers or desktop environments, I use a text ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I'm not entirely sure if this is what you want, or even what you're asking, but whenever I want to change window managers or desktop environments, I use a text file.

Create a file (if it doesn't exist already) in your home directory named .xinitrc (note the period, it must be there).

Inside this file type the following:
    Code:
    exec startkde
    #exec gnome-session
    Save the file. If you want to try out gnome (provided it is installed correctly), simply comment out the 'exec kde' line and uncomment the 'exec gnome-session' line. To try gnome, your .xinitrc file will say this:

Code:
    #exec startkde
    exec gnome-session
    Save, restart X (CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE), and Gnome should be your default desktop. You can add exec lines for other window managers as well, such as 'exec blackbox' or 'exec fluxbox'. Once you want KDE back, just reverse the process and uncomment the desired desktop. Hope that helps a bit.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    just another thought, it might be worth a look in SuSE Comtrol Centre, or also in the /etc/sysconfig editor in YaST.
    Thanks but I've looked there..in fact I've looked everywhere

techieMoe - I did what you said & the only thing that happened was I couldn't login using my normal user name & had to login to root (still KDE) to get back in to change that file back. I suppose that means that Gnome isn't installed properly as it couldn't load. Thanks for trying though!

I'm guna b re-installin SuSE soon i think.... i will try and install gnome and let u know how it goes.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Great thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2