Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I want to connect my notebook with the internet via my pc. This pc is connected to the web with a DHCP configurated ethernet card, getting dynamic IPs. How ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Routing - www via LAN - PC - LAN to Notebook

Hi,

I want to connect my notebook with the internet via my pc. This pc is connected to the web with a DHCP configurated ethernet card, getting dynamic IPs.

How do I have to configure the routing (with Yast)? I can enter two static IPs for my notebook and the ethernet card connected to the notebook - but how do I have to tell the route, that the gateway is dynamic?

I hope I didn't use any wrong notation and you can help me.

Thanks,
    gisi

Linux User
    I dont understand, does your PC have two internet cards? And are they both running SuSE?

Just Joined!
    Sure, my computer is running SuSE 9.1, and has two ethernet-cards. One of them is linked to the notebook, the other to another LAN via DHCP where I get internet from:

www -> LAN(eth0) -> Linux (DHCP) -> LAN(eth1) -> Notebook

regards,
    gisi

Linux User
    I don't know much about this area. About a week ago I tried to use my laptop as a wireless access point, and although other comptuers could see the wireless network from it, they could not connect to it.

Have you poked around in YaST for something like what you are looking for? (Looks like you have.) There might be some additonal software you need to install to handle giving out IP addresses

Maybe someone else will be able to help you better, I've never really tried this

Just Joined!
    Well, I think I will try to get closer to the Problem - the main problem seems to be the gateway with the IPs differing every time I log in - and return with more specific questions.

Thanks for your help and all the best to Kentucky!