Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I am running a dual boot with SuSe 9.2 and windows XP. Windows has two partitions both NTFS, in linux I can only read these partitions however not write to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Writing to NTFS partition?

I am running a dual boot with SuSe 9.2 and windows XP. Windows has two partitions both NTFS, in linux I can only read these partitions however not write to them. If i change the one to FAT32 would i be able to write to it?
    Any suggestions on how i can write to the windows partitions in linux?

NTFS write support is out there, though is still a bit shaky at the moment, so personally i would not suggest u use it I would suggest (if possible) Reformatting one of the drives to FAT32 if you can
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

As a bit of an expansion on the above, some of the recent kernels have had an experimental NTFS write support in it. However, you are unable to create anything new, only to modify existing files. Also, the file size when you're done must be the same as when you start.

And apparently, this has the chance to corrupt your files. I don't recommend it just yet.

Just Joined!
    Thanks

I'll format the drive to FAT32. What would be the best method to do this: FDISK?

Just Joined!

Fat32

FDISK is very dangerous.I think you should use pqmagic.It easy to use.Try it.Good Luck!

Just Joined!
    sheesh when is linux going to have ntfs writing suport, it must be a nearly imposible task as im sure a huge amount of the linux comunity want it, and still its not arround. microsoft must have made it just to piss of the linux comunity, sheesh. oh yes, ic an say sheesh again, sheesh, see i even said it 2 more times when you werent paying attention =P

Quote Originally Posted by Paridoth
    sheesh when is linux going to have ntfs writing suport
    The answer is now! BUT it is experimental, so use it at your own risk.

The problem i believe is with the way M$ Make the NTFS partitions, because it allows permissions on filed like the ext's, and reiser, and for that matter, most (if not all) of the linux filesystems!

Just Joined!
    I have a dual boot Suse 9.2 Pro and Windows XP(NTFS). I actually copied 3.5gig of avi tv series files from Suse 9.2 across the network share to my other pc with Windows XP on it that has an NTFS partition, then I reboot my dual boot to Windows XP and copied them back over across the network to my Windows XP NTFS on the dual boot system and they seem to be fine..... Mind you I didn't del them from Suse just yet!

Quote Originally Posted by rontu88
    I have a dual boot Suse 9.2 Pro and Windows XP(NTFS). I actually copied 3.5gig of avi tv series files from Suse 9.2 across the network share to my other pc with Windows XP on it that has an NTFS partition, then I reboot my dual boot to Windows XP and copied them back over across the network to my Windows XP NTFS on the dual boot system and they seem to be fine..... Mind you I didn't del them from Suse just yet!
    Hehe that's a novel way of copying

Tho if you have ext2/3 partitions, u can use an app called explore2fs in windows to read them partitions, allowin u to copy files off the linux partitions.

Just Joined!
    I use Riser...

fwiw I wanna learn Novell too, I have an older book and version 6 just never had the time to tinker with it yet.. My teach is always harpin we should grasp it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast