Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok I have no problem mounting the Windows C and D drives but I tried everything to gain permission with no prevail... I did all I know through groups and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

granting permissions for mounted windows drives

Ok I have no problem mounting the Windows C and D drives but I tried everything to gain permission with no prevail... I did all I know through groups and users, and even as root user tryin to change the permissions but it keeps telling me I can't change the persmissions for read only folders. In the GUI is even worse no matter what I try.... please help, what am I doing wrong..... BTW I do see the Window drive letters C: & D: in the GUI file manager but they are locked......??

read this post:
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Well I appreciate the help but it now works for soem crazy reason, have a couple ideas why but not sure.... anyway it works and I am using NTFS not FAT32.... One other question is how do I allow myself to write to them drives? Through permission changes under root, or is this even safe?!! Again Thanks

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Bad idea writing to NTFS. It isn't stable and you stand a good chance of loosing everything on that partition. Leave it alone.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    Ok thanks for the advice, all I really wanna do is access my zillion mp3's and some movies, oh and try to get that damned cedega or wine working to play half life 2 which seem simpossible to gte working......

when I eventually totally have less than 1% usage for windows, whats the best way to get my files over to the Linux side.... ?? I shouldn't convert back to Fat32 and copy I was told.... NTFS back to Fat 32 is dangerous too....

You should be able to simply copy from the NTFS drives directly into Linux. Just make sure to add write and execute permissions to things that you copy over.