Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am installing SUSE 9.2 new installation, in the installation settings>partitioning I have: - delete partition/dev/sda2 147.0 GB(linux native) - create swap partition 1.0 GB on/dev/sda2 - Create root partition ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Help installing SUSE 9.2

I am installing SUSE 9.2 new installation, in the installation settings>partitioning I have:

- delete partition/dev/sda2 147.0 GB(linux native)
    - create swap partition 1.0 GB on/dev/sda2
    - Create root partition 146.0GB(/dev/sda4 with reiser
    - Set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /windows/C

Can I go ahead with the installation accepting this partitioning without any risk of loosing data in the winxp partition??? I am sorry I am new to Linux and I am not really expert, any help will be greatly appreciated, thank you

Just Joined!
    I forgot to add that I am already running winXP on the disk where I want to install also SUSE 9.2, thank you!

Linux Engineer
    First question. What are your partitions currently set to? Is it just one drive, or more than one?

When I loaded SuSE, I was very particular as to where each partition started and ended. Took some figuring out, but I thought it better to be safe than sorry.
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    If you accept that partitioning scheme, Windows will be gone.
    If you go back one step, or select "change" with the "partition" highlighted. You should be able to select to keep Windows.

Hope this helps.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!
    Thank you all for your kind answers, I can select change but in this case how can I keep Windows???

Linux User
    by default, SuSE should try to keep windows and create a dual boot system. To confirm this, click partitioning and it should look something like:

Resize /dev/hda1 to ** GB
    Create partition /dev/hda2 for swap
    Create partition /dev/hda3 with reiserfs

if it looks something like this, then it will resize your windows partition (/dev/hda1) and then create a linux partititon for SuSE (/dev/hda3)

EDIT:

OK, try doing your own partitioning, fiorst resize your windows partition:
    /dev/sda1 i think it was?
    remember how much you took off of it, then create a new partition, format it as swap and mount it as "swap" usually you want theis artition to be about 1GB, so for the ending block, put "+1G" or "+1024M"
    then create your root partition, format it wil reiserfs and mount it as "/" and set its end to +***G" where *** is how much space remains on your drive

if you try and do too much, it will ask you if you want to use all remaining space, say yes

EDIT 2: actually, your partition says it will set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /windows/C and install lionux to /dev/sda2, so you might be OK already

Just Joined!
    I forgot to add that I tried before to install Suse 9.2 and I guess that the YAST already made a partition, in fact my HD in WindowsXP shows only 70 GB of the 150GB that should be available, so in this case if I am not wrong this should mean:

- delete partition/dev/sda2 147.0 GB(linux native) DELETE THE PREVIOUS PARTITION MADE FOR LINUX - create swap partition 1.0 GB on/dev/sda2 CREATE A SWAP PARTITION FOR SWAPPING BETWEEN OS- Create root partition 146.0GB(/dev/sda4 with reiser CREATE A NEW PARTITION FOR SUSE 9.2
    - Set mount point of /dev/sda1 to /windows/C KEEP WINXP PARTITION AS IS

Please confirm, thank you!
    If I got it right I could now install SUSE without loosing any WINXP partition!

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by giuliano
    Please confirm, thank you!
    If I got it right I could now install SUSE without loosing any WINXP partition!
    Yep, that will work, and you'll kepp al your xp data