Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello i recently posted in the mandrake forums about installing mandrake onto my already dual booting windows system however after trying to install 3 diferent mandrakes and having no luck ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing suse 9.2 for the first time

Hello i recently posted in the mandrake forums about installing mandrake onto my already dual booting windows system however after trying to install 3 diferent mandrakes and having no luck ive decided to give suse a try.
    im currently downloading the suse mini install on the sticky at the top of this forum and am going to attempt to install it on this computer, here is a screen shot of of my current drive (a sata drive if that matters)
    http://img48.echo.cx/img48/1130/now4bc.jpg
    the first and last partitions are windows xp drives, the middle unformated partition is were im planning to plop suse in.
    now ive never installed suse before so i was wondering what options i should look out for and what choices to make in order to make sure i have a tri booting system when im done with the install.
    thanks =)

Just Joined!

also

also i might be getting suse 9.2 pro today or tomorrow, is it worth the wait?

Yes, it is worth the wait. On my machine SUSE just works.
    I did have trouble with Mandrake though. Still can't get it to work, so, I gave up on MSK.
    And most OS's take some tweaking on my part to get them to work, but not SUSE 9.2.
    Vectorlinux worked really well too.

Specs for my machine are:
    120GB WD IDE hard drive.
    1024 MB 3200 ram
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    Phillips CD-RW
    P2PE/800 Pro mobo
    SiS 6236 video card
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    SuSE is a great distro for both beginners and experienced linux users. It was my first distro fro my desktop (my webserver ran redhat 7.1 long before that, but someone else set it up and I never touched it) and I'm still ising SuSE today, almost a year later. If you have a dvd burner, I'd reccomend downloading the DVD installation, but DO NOT BUY SUSE 9.2 PRO in the stores. If you want to do that, SuSE 9.3 is comming out in about a week, so hold out for that.

Just Joined!

cool

well cool, im not buying it, im getting it from my freind, hes giving it to me becasue he said he was going to get 9.3 pro. anyways after i install 9.2 pro will i be able to upgrade to 9.3 pro if i choose to get it? and if i instal off the suse mini im downloading right now could i upgrade to 9.2 pro?

Yes, you will be able to upgrade.

The mini-installation cd you are dl'ing now, I beleive that is for a ftp installation. You need a high speed connection for that.
    How to know if you are a geek.
    when you respond to "get a life!" with "what's the URL?"
    - Birger

New users read The FAQ

Just Joined!

yup yup

yup, im running of cable right now, so i should be good, as long as the installer recognizes my network card neways.

Linux User
    I tried the net install, on a DSL line. I gave it 48 hours and it wasn't even half done. I would recomend going for a real installation disk, getting 9.2 from your friend is probably the best course of action

Just Joined!
    yah i gave up on the mini, the ftp i was downloading it from was giving it to me at 3 kb/s ssooo ill just get 9.2 pro from him tomorow, and maybe upgrade to 9.3 later.

Re: yup yup

Quote Originally Posted by Paridoth
    yup, im running of cable right now, so i should be good, as long as the installer recognizes my network card neways.
    You will have to tell the FTP install disk what network card u have. Just go into the manual install then load the relevant drivers

Quote Originally Posted by zachtib
    I tried the net install, on a DSL line. I gave it 48 hours and it wasn't even half done. I would recomend going for a real installation disk, getting 9.2 from your friend is probably the best course of action
    What speed connection do u have??

I can install suse with KDE in ~2hours on my connection. Granted it is a 2mb connection, but 48 hours to install half of it?? What were u installing? Everything?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327