Find the answer to your Linux question:
First off, let me say that I am the most newb of newbs, so please be clear on anything and everything you reply. I've decided to make the switch, and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    g4f
    Just Joined!

1st Linux install - SuSE 9.0 Pro - basic software/drivers...

First off, let me say that I am the most newb of newbs, so please be clear on anything and everything you reply.

I've decided to make the switch, and to start off, I received a copy of SuSE 9.0 Professional. Everything installed fine onto my older HP Pavilion Celeron (though it only used 2 of the 5 discs, I have no idea what the others are for) except for the internet, which I almost expected. I have a Belkin wireless 54g PCI card which has a Broadcom chipset, so Linux couldn't do anything with it. Other than that everything seems fine.

So I came on to my other PC to troubleshoot, and as it turns out, I needed to get this ndiswrapper thing. So I downloaded that, took my floppy upstairs, and attempted to follow the instructions. Needless to say, I didn't get very far.

I went into Konsole (which looked like it might be for this kind of thing), and I tried installing this under the Root Console, Linux Console, and one other, I don't remember what exactly. I could untar the file fine, but after I would cd into the directory, nothing would work. I tried for hours, "./configure" "make" "make install" all gave me 'No file or directory exists' type of message. And that's how far I got in my attempt to reconfigure my network card for Linux. There has to be something really basic I'm missing, because I don't understand how these commands don't work.

I forgot to mention something. During my dismal installation attempt, I discovered that ndiswrapper needs Kernel 2.4.26. Sure enough, I checked, and all I have is 2.4.21. So I downloaded the updates for both 2.4.30 and 2.6.11.7, tossed them on to the floppy and ran back upstairs... to the same problem. These didn't install either. No "./configure", "make" or "make install". I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Re: 1st Linux install - SuSE 9.0 Pro - basic software/driver

Quote Originally Posted by g4f
    I've decided to make the switch, and to start off, I received a copy of SuSE 9.0 Professional. Everything installed fine onto my older HP Pavilion Celeron (though it only used 2 of the 5 discs, I have no idea what the others are for)
    The other 3 discs will be for extra apps that you haven't chosen to install.

As for your ndiswrapper problem, i am not too sure. sorry
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

I feel you on the ndiswraper problem, but I haven't had much luck with it myself. For the kernel version problem, though, I'd recommend installing a newer version of SuSE (they're almost up to 9.3 Pro now, in a week or so). Version 9.2 Pro is available for free download from SuSE, see the sticky at the top of the SuSE forum. You *could* just update your kernel, but a newer install will be less daunting for a newbie and will also help with other unforeseen problems you may have with using an older version.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

g4f
    Just Joined!
    The problem with that is that this computer does not have a DVD burner, only a CD burner. So I could download the 64MB ISO file, however, then I would have to FTP the rest of the stuff you need... which doesn't help me because I can't even get to online from this computer due to my whole ndiswrapper issue anyway

Quote Originally Posted by g4f
    The problem with that is that this computer does not have a DVD burner, only a CD burner. So I could download the 64MB ISO file, however, then I would have to FTP the rest of the stuff you need... which doesn't help me because I can't even get to online from this computer due to my whole ndiswrapper issue anyway
    Don't know what to tell you. If you have $9.95 handy you can order the DVD or the 5 CDROMs from places like LinuxCD.org. SuSE is not the easiest distro to get for free. I imagine Novell does it on purpose, otherwise there would be no reason to buy it. In my opinion, it's well worth the price.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants