Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lan

Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

gateway? for the internet or for my local network

For the internet. The gateway doesn't have to be on your subnet as long as you can ping it (caveat - for wireless, you'd have to have the right ssid, wep, etc. to ping it, so it's basically the same as being on the same network).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

So, your trying to get two wireless connections and combine them? That would be really cool, but. Dont you need two network cards to take in two incoming connections?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilanth
    So, your trying to get two wireless connections and combine them? That would be really cool, but. Dont you need two network cards to take in two incoming connections?
    No, from what I gather he's got a gateway to the internet and a local LAN that he wants to combine, so that essentially his router is the point of point of presence (POP) offering access to all the computers in the local wireless network through one access point.
    Registered Linux user #270181

You the one on the money techie moe now I just need to know how
    to get this acomplish

Any ideas on how to get this working

Well, I've only set up one wireless network myself, and it was where I had one router that connected to the cable modem (the outside world) and a small pool of IP addresses for the computers in my house. In your case, your router would be connecting to your neighbor's router (I think), and your computers would just use your router like usual... but perhaps I'll leave this to someone with more home networking know-how.
    Registered Linux user #270181