Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi guys, I accidentally wiped my bootloader (on floppy) while trying to fix fstab . So now i'm stuck with a Linux system without bootloader (on dual-boot with Windows, Windows ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Engineer

[SuSE 9.2] Grub wiped, fstab problems...

Hi guys, I accidentally wiped my bootloader (on floppy) while trying to fix fstab . So now i'm stuck with a Linux system without bootloader (on dual-boot with Windows, Windows itself still starts up), and a malfunctioning fstab.
    The problem is I deleted a WinXp partition that is normally mounted by SuSE. So when i booted after the deletion (which i did in Windows) i got the message 'kernel panic can't load /dev/hda5', which is the deleted partition.
    I found on the internet an image & an exe to make a linux boot disk in Windows, but does this boot disk works with any linux os (i.e. is it generic, will it work with my SuSE install?).
    I already tried fixing the fstab from a Knoppix distribution, but it kept saying i didn't have write rights.

Can you help me out? Thank you.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Whenever I play with my partitions, the next thing I do is boot with the SuSE CD (or DVD), go to installation, and then check the "repair existing installation" option. This will check your fstab, file systems, package versions, bootloader and a whole host of other things, fix them, and upon reboot you should have a functional system.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

You could still fix fstab from Knoppix, and it might be your easiest path. You have to right-click on the drive's device icon on the desktop in Knoppix and tell it to make the drive writable (simple once you know it, but not all that intuitive).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    K guys, thanks a lot, I'm gonna try this now

Booting from the DVD into my install worked, writing the boot floppy also, changing my fstab also. But it gave boot errors, probably due to wrong configuration pretty messed up, so i just reinstalled... And i'm making backups now .

Thanks anyway!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **