Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I am using SuSE personal 9.1. Today I installed Inkscape and went through all the inconsistencies until it finally got correctly installed. Unfortunately it does not start. This ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Inkscape does not start: gdk_threads_lock issue

Hi folks,

I am using SuSE personal 9.1. Today I installed Inkscape and went through all the inconsistencies until it finally got correctly installed. Unfortunately it does not start. This is what I get from the console:

inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: /opt/gnome/lib/libgnomeprintui-2-2.so.0: undefined symbol: gdk_threads_lock

I already googled a lot and seems that a lot of people is having this problem, though I could not find any solution to it. Therefore I am posting the problem here in case someone of you knows something about a possible fix.

Any help is appreciated

Hernan

Banned
    Good thing you posted your SuSE version. I've heard 9.1 Personal has some serious issues because of libraries and compilers not being installed with the system. I can't give you a fix but you may want to try 9.2 or 9.3.

Thanks for your answer, Doug. In the meanwhile I have been digging long time in google. Lots of SuSE users are having this problem, not only in 9.1. As you say version 9.1 comes with lots of deficiencies, but I have been working around that to install other programs, so I do not think my 9.1 is 100% the problem. Regarding the gdk_threads_ Iock problem I found someone that suggested to recompile the glib2 and gtk2 libraries with thread support. This points me to several questions: Has someone tried this before? Has this effects over the performance of other programs? Does someone know how to do it?

Thanks

Hernan

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Banned
    I think you have to do something similar to LFS. You uninstall glib2 and gtk2 and then chroot into another directory. Install a compiler in that directory and use the chroot to recompile glib2 and gtk2 in your original directory. Thats just how I'd do it. I know theres more than one way though.

OK. I think I will change my approach and upgrade to SuSE 9.3 and see what happens. Thanks again.

Hernán

Banned
    Good Luck

Done! Upgrading to 9.3 pro allowed a succesful installation of Inkscape. Hope this helps others having this problem.

Hernán