Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by chopin1810 Ok... what distribution would you recommend for optimal speed and ease of use?! I mean, simple GUIs usually mean 99.9% of resources gobbled up anyway Well, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Re: VERY Slow Startup

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    Ok... what distribution would you recommend for optimal speed and ease of use?! I mean, simple GUIs usually mean 99.9% of resources gobbled up anyway
    Well, for outright speed, Gentoo, but I wouldn't recommend it to a new user. I'd go with Vector Standard, the latest version is 5.1. It has a few light WM's, among them Xfce, Fluxbox, and I think IceWM. It boots VERY fast (on one of my computers, a fast 2.8ghz celeron with 512 RAM, it is almost twice as fast as Suse 9.1, which itself was a bit slower than windows XP). Of the distros I've tried on the computer I mentioned, the boot times (minus the time where I entered the username and password) are (about, this was with a wristwatch, swiss but still not very exact):

Win XP: 60 sec.
    Suse 9.1 (KDE): 90+ sec.
    SimplyMepis (KDE): 75 sec.
    SimplyMepis (Xfce): 60 sec.
    Morphix (Xfce): 50 sec.
    Vector (Xfce): 37 sec.

Note that in suse, I had some eyecandy running (not karamba, but weather plugin and such), in Windows, a few programs run at startup (firewall, anti-virus...), in all the xfce distros, I didn't have a splash screen, and starting with the first mepis, I turned off any services which I knew I didn't need. Next time I get bored, I'll time my laptop (p3 800 Mhz, 128 Mb ram, Kanotix) and post the results.
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

I am running Slackware 10.1 with Fluxbox on my PII 350Mhz and it is very fast. Granted, I have 256MB of RAM (maxed out) to boot. If you can add some more RAM to your system, its cheap and will help out a bunch.

I started with SUSE and it was slow on my machine (similar to yours), so then I tried Slack and haven't been happier!
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

I am running Slackware 10.1 with Fluxbox on my PII 350Mhz and it is very fast. Granted, I have 256MB of RAM (maxed out) to boot. If you can add some more RAM to your system, its cheap and will help out a bunch.

I started with SUSE and it was slow on my machine (similar to yours), so then I tried Slack and haven't been happier!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I forgot to mention that Vector is based on Slackware. And that in any distro, programs will work faster if you compile them from source (this is what makes Gentoo so fast).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

That's right, I forgot Vector was based on Slack. That makes it a very good choice!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by deek

Strange!!!!!!! I tried Slackware 10.1 but i got slow, but now using Suse 9.3 and happy with this.
    S. M. Ibrahim
    Registered Linux User # 394440

Pentium-IV 3.00 Ghz(Cache -2MB, 64 bit), 512 MB RAM , 128 MB agp, 160 GB Hdd (SATA)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2