Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok, I turn on the system, select SUSE 9.3 from GRUB's menu, and I end up waiting around 3 and a half minutes for the entire operating system to load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Enthusiast

VERY Slow Startup

Ok, I turn on the system, select SUSE 9.3 from GRUB's menu, and I end up waiting around 3 and a half minutes for the entire operating system to load into memory. I don't think it's a problem with slow hardware as really my hardware isn't that slow:
    384mb ram
    256mb nvidia display adapter
    seagate 80gb hdd
    intel pentium 2 450mhz
    The only really slow part in there is the processor. But Windows Xp operates wonderfully on this system, and it's more notorious for gobbling up system resources than linux.
    (If any of you think that the processor is the problem here, there is an upgrade that I may get that would push the clock frequency to 1.3 ghz)
    Plus, browsing is kinda slow too-I looked at startup services but as a complete linux noob I don't dare mess with them
    Any suggestions? comments?
    btw, overall, disregarding speed issues and everything, I am very impressed with SUSE. It came with just about every package I could ever possibly want and made Linux migration very easy-setup was even easier than windows considering I didn't have to reinstall anything-I just selected packages to install at setup
    edit:I've read gnome takes up more resources than KDE, is this true?

Well, your processor isn't exactly top-of-the-line. P2? I would not expect a miracle with that.

That said, there are ways to speed boot time a little. In the YaST runlevel editor, here are some services you can disable:
    • autofs (if you do not want drives auto-mounted when you put them in)
    • cups (if you do not use a printer with this pc)
    • hotplug (if you do not need hotplugging support)
    • isdn (if you are not using an isdn modem - I doubt you are)
    • joystick (if you are not using a joystick)
    • madmd (if you are not using a software RAID)
    • nfs (if you will not be mounting remote filesystems)
    • nfsboot (if you will not be mounting remote filesystems)
    • nfslock (if you will not be sharing filesystems)
    • nfsserver (if you will not be sharing filesystems)
    • portmap (if you will not be using NFS / SMB)
    • postfix (probably ok to shut off for desktop systems, unless it is important to see system mail)
    • smbfs (if you will not be mounting remote Windows filesystems)
    • sshd (if you will not be running an SSH server)

That is all that comes to mind at the moment. Try disabling the services that are applicable to your situation, and see if your boot time improves.

If you are feeling ambitious, you might consider compiling your kernel with better support for your (old) CPU.

Re: VERY Slow Startup

Quote Originally Posted by chopin1810
    I thought it was the other way round. KDE uses most, followed by gnome, followed by something like xfce.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    I thought it was the other way round. KDE uses most, followed by gnome, followed by something like xfce.
    Somlloy is right, KDE can be quite a resource hog. Xfce is very light, but there are WM's that are even lighter (IceWM, for instance). About Suse: on those spec's, I'd probably go with another distro, but if you like Suse, just play around with it to speed it up. Three minutes for it sounds about right on those spec's. Turn off all of the services which you don't need, as well as any KDE programs which slow things down (karamba or other sistem monitors, weather plugins, etc.). Switching from KDE to Xfce will (in my experience) speed up the time between the login and a usable desktop by around10-15 seconds. I might also mention that Windows takes a bit longer to boot than it seems, as it shows the desktop, but you have to wait another 15 to 30 seconds for it to actually be usable (depending on hardware and how many programs you run at startup).
    Stumbling around the 'net:
    www.cloudyuseful.com

Linux Enthusiast

I just switched to KDE, and although I like Gnome better appearance-wise, KDE does seem to be faster.

Linux Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by psic
    Somlloy is right, KDE can be quite a resource hog. Xfce is very light, but there are WM's that are even lighter (IceWM, for instance). About Suse: on those spec's, I'd probably go with another distro, but if you like Suse, just play around with it to speed it up. Three minutes for it sounds about right on those spec's. Turn off all of the services which you don't need, as well as any KDE programs which slow things down (karamba or other sistem monitors, weather plugins, etc.). Switching from KDE to Xfce will (in my experience) speed up the time between the login and a usable desktop by around10-15 seconds. I might also mention that Windows takes a bit longer to boot than it seems, as it shows the desktop, but you have to wait another 15 to 30 seconds for it to actually be usable (depending on hardware and how many programs you run at startup).
    Ok... what distribution would you recommend for optimal speed and ease of use?! I mean, simple GUIs usually mean 99.9% of resources gobbled up anyway

Did you bother shutting the services mentioned? It's worth a shot before you throw in the towel.

I really don't think you're going to find a Distro that blazing fast on a PII 450, I also don't believe that WinXP runs very well either. I've seen WinXP choke P3's 1Ghz+ and lower frequency P4's unless all the eye candy was shut off.

SimplyMepis 3.3.2 Test02 is quite snappy compared to SuSE 9.3 on my 1.5Ghz P4 laptop, both are using KDE.

Just Joined!
    maybe DMA is not enabled on your hard disk? that can slow down loading

Linux Enthusiast
    Did you bother shutting the services mentioned? It's worth a shot before you throw in the towel.
    Yes, I did, it shaved off around 15-20 seconds, which helps, it's still damn slow though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast