Find the answer to your Linux question:
i'll (try to) be succinct: both of my cd rom drives (one a being a garden variety dvd rom drive, the other a (well, garden variety) dvd writer) won't read ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cd drive madness...

i'll (try to) be succinct: both of my cd rom drives (one a being a garden variety dvd rom drive, the other a (well, garden variety) dvd writer) won't read cd's. oddly enough, the writer CAN write. even more unsettling: it can read the tracks from music cd's, yet it won't play the music. i tried ( "/media/dvd" is where the drive is automounted to):

ls /media/dvd

this garnered the response:

/bin/ls: /media/dvd: No medium found

...which is, unless i'm mistaken, really goofy.

i went into the hardware-CD ROM drives section of yast and both devices were detected.

i shouldn't forget to mention (don't be surprised if i've forgotten a lot of crucial information; i've had a bit of a falling-out with computers for the last couple of months) that all this started after the deletion of my windows XP partition. after i deleted it (the windows XP partition, that is) i put in my suse installation cd (i planned on resizing my current partitions in a way that was previously impossible with the suse partition tool, etc, etc, etc) and found that my computer could no longer boot from cd's (nor read them, as i later found out, etc, etc, etc).

*edit:
    ...and this is from the system log:

Aug 9 16:19:17 linux kernel: ATAPI device hdc:
    Aug 9 16:19:17 linux kernel: Error: Medium error -- (Sense key=0x03)
    Aug 9 16:19:17 linux kernel: (reserved error code) -- (asc=0x15, ascq=0x80)
    Aug 9 16:19:17 linux kernel: The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
    Aug 9 16:19:17 linux kernel: "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

i'm not sure if that helps.

First - can you mount the CDROM/DVD drive (either by right clicking on the icon and selecting mount, or by using the mount command).

Second - were you able to play music before (ie. when you had Windows)? If not, have you got the audio cable connected from the back of the CDROM/DVD drive to your sound card (CDIN socket).

Third - Booting from CDs/DVD , have you changed the boot device order within your BIOS?

Fourth - The error message that you show, is something that I've had with bad CDs. I have a CD (of the movie Shrek) that will play under Windows, but not under Linux , even though it is on the same PC and the same drive. It appears that the Linux driver is not as flexible as the Windows drivers.

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    First - can you mount the CDROM/DVD drive (either by right clicking on the icon and selecting mount, or by using the mount command).
    this is my mount command (which, in these days of GUIs where (for me, at least) the command line goes mostly unused for such trivial tasks, i hope is correct):

mount -t iso9660 /dev/dvd /media/dvd

this garners:

mount: block device /dev/dvd is write-protected, mounting read-only
    mount: No medium found

which is strange, because when i try:

eject /dev/dvd

the dvd drive ejects fine.

and of course: when i mounted, i was logged in as root.

Second - were you able to play music before (ie. when you had Windows)? If not, have you got the audio cable connected from the back of the CDROM/DVD drive to your sound card (CDIN socket).
    yes, i could.

Third - Booting from CDs/DVD , have you changed the boot device order within your BIOS?
    i've spent a lot of time tinkering with my BIOS of late, but i assure you that i've always had it set to boot from CD (and if you're not asking if i'd had it set, but if i'd changed the order that it was set in, then yes, i have; i've tried it in every possible order. now i have my BIOS set to it's default setting which enabled it to boot from CDs without any difficulties pre-windows-deletion).

Fourth - The error message that you show, is something that I've had with bad CDs. I have a CD (of the movie Shrek) that will play under Windows, but not under Linux , even though it is on the same PC and the same drive. It appears that the Linux driver is not as flexible as the Windows drivers.
    the CDs that i've tried have been fine (and i've tried many) --the quality of the CD, in this case, is unimportant. i get an error bar-none.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    oh, well you seem to have covered just about everything I could think of. The only thing that I would try is doing the mount with a /dev/hd? . In other words try using the correct IDE device instead of what I assume to be a symbolic link. I know that hd? looks like it should be a hard disk, but all of your IDE devices are given a name /dev/hd? . For example, my DVD drive is on the second IDE ribbon cable as slave, and so is called /dev/hdd , and that is what i sue in the mount and fstab .

Must be honest, though, I feel that I am probably clutching at straws here, as you seem to have covered all the usual bases.

good luck

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS