Find the answer to your Linux question:
Out of my three hard drives the 40(C) and 60(D) gig ones are windows partitions. I have some media files that I want to CUT from D and copy to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Moving stuff from my Windows XP partition to my SuSe one.

Out of my three hard drives the 40(C) and 60(D) gig ones are windows partitions. I have some media files that I want to CUT from D and copy to my SuSe partition. I can copy stuff but I can't cut.

Need some help here.

Thanks.
    Registered Linux User #395492
    My blog: http://www.khooban.com/nucleus/?&blogid=2
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

You can't cut, because you can't write to an NTFS partition. Cutting modifies the data (deletes it on the NTFS, writes it to the Linux), so it is not possible.

Your best bet would be to copy it to Linux, then boot into Windows and delete it. Alternatively, you can see if CaptiveNTFS works for you (I've never used it):

http://www.jankratochvil.net/project/captive/

Linux Newbie
    Thanks. I'll do that.
    Desktop (Cassius) Pentium 4 1.5Ghz, 512MB SDRAM, 40, 60 and 80GB HardDisks, DVD/CDRW! Laptop (Copy) AMD Athlon XP 1.8Ghz, 448MB RAM, 64MB Radeon Graphics, 60GB HD, DVD/CDRW!

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Cutting modifies the data (deletes it on the NTFS, writes it to the Linux), so it is not possible.
    Possible, but not recommended to use. "Captive" for example does ntfs read/write.

Quote Originally Posted by RustamB
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabhan
    Cutting modifies the data (deletes it on the NTFS, writes it to the Linux), so it is not possible.
    Possible, but not recommended to use. "Captive" for example does ntfs read/write.
    Okay, fine, be that way.

It is technically possible to write to an NTFS partition without Captive NTFS. However, it is very unstable, and has a lot of conditions surrounding it, and so is highly not recommended.

If you want to share data between the two, another option would be making a spare FAT partition, which both Windows and Linux can read/write to.

Linux Newbie
    Well I could boot up Windows to delete those files. Its not like I'm out of space though. From what I understand Captive NTFS is safe to use, if I decide to use that right?

Thanks again for all the help.

The safe way is to either have a partition or harddrive (internal or USB) formatted using FAT32. Both can read/write to the FAT32 without any possibility of destroying your Windows installation.

Linux Engineer
    I agree with Londojowo. Use FAT32, that can be accessed safely in read/write mode both by Linux and Windows - you should use that as a kind of 'exchange' partition between Linux and Windows .

Keep in mind though FAT32 won't support files larger than 4 GB (ISO's, DVD images, ...).

CaptiveNTFS will work, but not with the performance you are used to in Windows.
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Back up those files on a external hardrive formated as fat32
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

Linux User
    I had the exact same problem and formatting fat32 worked fine for me. even so, i'm getting more eager to get rid of windows entirely.