Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im still a little confused about this as im new to linux. I have installed from the 9.3 Eval DVD. What support is not available compared to the commercial package, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Im still a little confused about this as im new to linux.

I have installed from the 9.3 Eval DVD.

What support is not available compared to the commercial package, is it just the extra software on the disks or is it some of the updates/patches etc.. that you can recieve through Yast? Ive noticed that there are a few things that i needed the install cds for through Yast if i wanted to get some of the software to work (the DVD doesnt work). Also in Yast, some of the uninstalled programs or patches say 'do not install' when you go to see what they are. Is this also due to the unavailable support or some strange software conflicts?

Any help please as i have to determine if i need to buy the full version soon as i have to install important software for work purposes and need to know if the Eval DVD will support everything.

a

Quote Originally Posted by alicat
    What support is not available compared to the commercial package, is it just the extra software on the disks or is it some of the updates/patches etc.. that you can recieve through Yast?
    The main difference between the boxed set and the ones you download is the lack of official support. With the boxed set you get manuals and official email support from Novell for problems regarding installation and maintenance of your system. There are also a few commercial applications such as PlanMaker and TextMaker that are not included in the downloadable SuSE.

You should be able to download and install all the packages available through YaST, either off your DVD/CDs or off the Novell FTP site.

Also in Yast, some of the uninstalled programs or patches say 'do not install' when you go to see what they are. Is this also due to the unavailable support or some strange software conflicts?
    "Do not install" simply means it will not install unless you click the check box next to it and make it say "Install". It's not saying you can't install the packages, just that they aren't selected to be installed.

Any help please as i have to determine if i need to buy the full version soon as i have to install important software for work purposes and need to know if the Eval DVD will support everything.
    Unless you want the manuals and official support from Novell, you should be just fine with the Eval release.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thanks TechieMoe

thanks for the info. So far i havnt been able to download updates from the DVD but download support is grand.

cheers

a