Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm going to add a second hard drive to my SuSE-9.3 Linux PC. Being brand new it won't be partitioned nor formatted yet. Is there anything special I need to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Adding second hard drive - anything special to know?

I'm going to add a second hard drive to my SuSE-9.3 Linux PC. Being brand new it won't be partitioned nor formatted yet.

Is there anything special I need to know or do? Or do I just connect the hard drive, and boot to SuSE-9.3, and let Yast do the rest? [Or do I have to it the hard way, partition/format and then hand edit the fstab myself from a bash shell ?]

It will be a 300GB Maxtor IDE hard drive. I plan to use it only for data. Probably chop it up and put 100GBytes for NTFS, and the rest to a Linux format. Probably ReiserFS. I'm not sure what Linux software for the partitioning. Since I want an NTFS partition, I suspect I may need to use MS-Windows 3rd party package Partition Magic (at least for the NTFS portion) to chop up the drive first, prior to booting to Linux?

Any tricks, warnings, or good guides? I did a brief Internet search, and couldn't find anything specific to what I want to do. Instead I got flooded by URLs of users who wanted to make the new drive into their boot drive, which I do not want to do.

pop it in, system should detect it on boot and will try add it to fstab. But, this will fail as it is unformatted. Just launch Yast and let it do the partitioning for you (Yast can format it as ntfs if you wish to do so).

However, IMO the best way to get ntfs and reiser formatted partitions is just to use qtparted on a live cd such as Knoppix, this nifty program can partition and format the drive as FAT, NTFS, Reiser, ext2/3 etc...
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

qtparted

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    pop it in, system should detect it on boot and will try add it to fstab. But, this will fail as it is unformatted. Just launch Yast and let it do the partitioning for you (Yast can format it as ntfs if you wish to do so).

However, IMO the best way to get ntfs and reiser formatted partitions is just to use qtparted on a live cd such as Knoppix, this nifty program can partition and format the drive as FAT, NTFS, Reiser, ext2/3 etc...
    I have the Knoppix-4.0 live DVD, but I didn't know qtparted could handle NTFS. However I've been wanting to give qtparted a try, and now is a good excuse.

Thanks for suggestion re:qtparted.

qtparted doesn't ( ?? ) appear to support Reiser ?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexK

I booted to Knoppix DVD and ran "qtparted". Unfortunately it (the Knoppix implemented qparted) did not give me an option to format to Reiser. It did provide NTFS, fat32, ext2, ext3, jfs and xfs. In the end, I decided to give xfs a try. The new hard drive is being partitioned and formated (on another PC) by qtparted as I type this.

= = = = = = = = = =

An update - when I booted to SuSE-9.3, it noted the new hard drive, with the two partitions created by "qtparted", and it gave me the option to modify these partitions. So I kept the NTFS and changed the XFS to Reiser. .... I'll try XFS some other time.