Find the answer to your Linux question:
Need some help..... Here is my network setup: INTERNET (PPPOE) <> MODEM <> eth0 (DHCP) <> LINUX BOX (SUSE 9.3) <> eth 1 (192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0) <> SWITCH <> STATIONS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SUSE 9.3 DSL Internet Sharing

Need some help.....

Here is my network setup:

INTERNET (PPPOE)
    <>
    MODEM
    <>
    eth0 (DHCP)
    <>
    LINUX BOX (SUSE 9.3)
    <>
    eth 1 (192.168.0.1 / 255.255.255.0)
    <>
    SWITCH
    <>
    STATIONS (4 UNITS W/ WINDOWS XP AND REDHAT 8.0 OS)

I can run the internet on my linux box but i want to share my internet connection on the stations. I tried to search from the net on how to share and it suggested the ipforwarding and it seems to me that the files that will be edited as suggested is not found like /etc/sysconfig/personal-firewall... but instead is /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 which is the line to be edited is not in there.

Also some links give a iptablles and will create a script and add line to rc.local but in suse 9.3 boot.local...

Please i need your help

ok, looks like u have a setup same as i have.

On the firewall box, open YaST

Then choose the "Security and Users" tab, and "Firewall" in there.

Page 1
    choose "Reconfigure Firewall Settings" Or something similar that ISN'T Stop it hehe

Page 2
    Choose the relevent internal and external interfaces

Page 3
    Choose the services you want on the firewall.
    Note: This isn't what u want to access externally, it's what u want external to be able to access on the server

Page 4
    Choose options:
    • Forward Traffic and Do Masquerading
    • Protect All Running Services
    • Treat IPsec Traffic as Internal

and leave these unchecked:
    • Protect from Internal Network
    • Allow Traceroute

Page 5
    Choose both the standard options, and if you want high level logging, choose the debug options aswell

Save the settings, and then with the internal ip of the firewall box set as the default gateway on the rest of the computers, it works ok here

Hope that helps.[/list]
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    thank you but i haven't run it yet.....

I would like to make it in a step by step manner. I am on the firewall configuration now....

1. Startup Settings
    > Start firewall when booting (selected)

2. Interfaces

> DSL Connection - No Zone
    > Network adapter (eth0) - External Zone
    > Network Adapter (eth1) - Internal Zone

3. Allowed Services

> External Zone - none
    >external Zone - all

4. Masquerading - uncheck

5. Broadcast uncheck

6. IPsec - uncheck

7. Log ....

Please be patient with me.... thanks!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Re: SUSE 9.3 DSL Internet Sharing

Quote Originally Posted by chomper
    I can run the internet on my linux box but i want to share my internet connection on the stations. I tried to search from the net on how to share and it suggested the ipforwarding and it seems to me that the files that will be edited as suggested is not found like /etc/sysconfig/personal-firewall... but instead is /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 which is the line to be edited is not in there.

Also some links give a iptablles and will create a script and add line to rc.local but in suse 9.3 boot.local...
    I confess, you are MUCH more ambitious than I. I wimped out, and took the more pragamatic (and extravigant) approach by spending 40 euros, and purchasing a hardware router / combined-4-port switch, with built in print server. I figure for the 40 euros it cost, I saved myself a load of aggravation.

Best wishes in doing this in software. Reading the posts on this thread is an education.

Chomper, seems the firewall config has been updated since 9.2 hehe.

I'll try n take a look at it ASAP. i was thinkin about installin 9.3 some time shortly anyway.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    i will keep tracking on this forum for your help.....

im still stack with my internet sharing....

Just Joined!

Internet Connection Sharing

Hello.
    Im a newbie on Linux, particularly Suse 9.3. It seems that our office is starting to migrate to open source but we cant do that completely yet. My problem is how to share internet access to multiple platforms, eg.. Suse 9.3, White Box Linux, Windows XP.
    Our DSL is connected to Suse, which is really hard for us to share to the network.
    Our setup is all computers connected to a 16port switch. windows network works fine, but they cant see linux computers. Linux can see and access windows.

Hope anybody can help.

Did you try Samba

Quote Originally Posted by marvsul
    Hello.
    Im a newbie on Linux, particularly Suse 9.3. It seems that our office is starting to migrate to open source but we cant do that completely yet. My problem is how to share internet access to multiple platforms, eg.. Suse 9.3, White Box Linux, Windows XP.
    Our DSL is connected to Suse, which is really hard for us to share to the network.
    Our setup is all computers connected to a 16port switch. windows network works fine, but they cant see linux computers. Linux can see and access windows.
    From what I have read, your problem is not one of Internet Connection Sharing, but rather a matter that your MS Windows PC's can not access the Linux PCs? ... What do you mean by the statement that your "DSL is cnnected to SuSE" ??

If your problem is merely the WinXP PCs accessing the Linux PCs, did you try "samba" ? .... If you truely need this capability, then there is a software package called Samba, that you need to read up, and then set up on each Linux PC.

I recommend you open a new thread for this subject/question.

Just Joined!
    Hi.

- Does anyone know how to share the Internet connection from my modem (mounted as modem0) to the LAN (mounted as eth0) using the YAST in Novel Suse Linux 9.3 Pro?
    I do not want to do it via su command line.

Note:
    Samba is allready runing for printer sharing purposes.

Helux