Find the answer to your Linux question:
i just installed suse 10.0 rc1 on my dad's dell dimension 2400 and the installer and everything went smoothly until i rebooted and it was in text mode. taking futher ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 10.0 RC1 $display not set

i just installed suse 10.0 rc1 on my dad's dell dimension 2400 and the installer and everything went smoothly until i rebooted and it was in text mode. taking futher steps to figure out what i discovered the it is a conflict between the onboard and pci video card. There is no option in the bios to disable it so in order to use linux, i read that the pci video card could be set manually through the installer configuration. well i tried doing so but i don't know the driver name or the sysfs directory it's asking for.

the onboard video is a Dell i385 i think and the pci video is a Prolink Mircosystems FX5200 (0x322)

also: when i boot up everything goes fine but it enters text-mode and i try running kde, it spits out a bunch of errors including one about $display not being set.

any help would be very helpful to me as he wants to learn linux

Banned

Re: SuSE 10.0 RC1 $display not set

Quote Originally Posted by alterrocker85
    i just installed suse 10.0 rc1 on my dad's dell dimension 2400 and the installer and everything went smoothly until i rebooted and it was in text mode. taking futher steps to figure out what i discovered the it is a conflict between the onboard and pci video card. There is no option in the bios to disable it so in order to use linux, i read that the pci video card could be set manually through the installer configuration. well i tried doing so but i don't know the driver name or the sysfs directory it's asking for.

the onboard video is a Dell i385 i think and the pci video is a Prolink Mircosystems FX5200 (0x322)

also: when i boot up everything goes fine but it enters text-mode and i try running kde, it spits out a bunch of errors including one about $display not being set.

I really think people shoudn't ask questions about development software...(Try a stable version if you want to learn anything)/
    Anyway, unless this changed from SuSE 9.3, try the following:
    Load your system.
    Once it's fully loaded(even if you don't see anything), press Ctrl-Alt-F3
    Type vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    press insert
    In the section Device, replace the driver (Driver "xxx") with Driver "vesa"
    press Esc
    Type :wq! and reboot.

Just Joined!

Re: SuSE 10.0 RC1 $display not set

Quote Originally Posted by jens

I really think people shoudn't ask questions about development software...(Try a stable version if you want to learn anything)/
    Anyway, unless this changed from SuSE 9.3, try the following:
    Load your system.
    Once it's fully loaded(even if you don't see anything), press Ctrl-Alt-F3
    Type vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    press insert
    In the section Device, replace the driver (Driver "xxx") with Driver "vesa"
    press Esc
    Type :wq! and reboot.
    thanks i do have 9.3 myself but how do this have anything to do with it being a development build. this isn't a distro problem, it's a conflict.
    edit: i'l try it once i get home tomorrow

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    you could also run sax2 as root and change the driver to vesa or to a generic nvdia card.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    you could also run sax2 as root and change the driver to vesa or to a generic nvdia card.
    well i already tried running sax2 but i did't know how to use that under command line. i managed to get it to try and launch but no futher luck. if the first post does not work i'll look into it futher.

to use sax2 in command line,
    login = root
    pasword = root password
    sax2 <--- enter after login is successful

Just Joined!
    to use sax2 in command line,
    login = root
    pasword = root password
    sax2 <--- enter after login is successful
    neither one worked. sax2 kept saying ups last card when probing

i used the following command sax2 -m 0=GeForce FX 5200

instead of using geforce driver, use vesa and see if that gets you back to gui.

Just Joined!
    still says lost card during probing, i did this
    sax2 -m 0=vesa

Just Joined!
    still says lost card during probing, i did this
    sax2 -m 0=vesa
    edit: decided to just format it and put xp back on his and not install the onboard driver