Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
First of all, I have very limited skills when it comes to programming, meaning none whatsoever. However, I love SUSE 9.3. I recently changed apartments, and now instead of having ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Wireless internet with SUSE 9.3

First of all, I have very limited skills when it comes to programming, meaning none whatsoever. However, I love SUSE 9.3.

I recently changed apartments, and now instead of having a direct connection to my cable internet via the CAT 5 cable, I have to use a Linksys receiver to receive the signal from the apartment manager's router above me. I went and bought one, but it's designed for Windows. After several problems trying to get a signal, I finally managed a rather weak one with Windows (11 mbps) but I have ZERO idea how to get my internet to work With SUSE now. Please help, someone!

Just Joined!
    I was just like you a couple of weeks ago, I dont know much about all this but what i did worked for me....
    First you need to configure your wireless adapter:
    - Select "Automatic configuration by DHCP and click next
    - Put the name of your wireless network where it says "Network identifier"
    - Put in your your password and select the type (If you dont know waht type it is try all of them until it works, thats what I did)

Now you need to open the wirelees thing for Linux:
    - Go to menu->internet->administraation->network selector
    - A new icon should appear in the bar at the bottom left, right click on it
    - click on the wirelss connection option
    - look for your wireless network and clcik connect
    - you will need to type your password again, do it and select the type (it should be the same type that you used before)

and now you should be fine!

Like I said before I dont know much but this worked for me, hope it works for you....good luck

Just Joined!
    Is this also how you connect to a public WiFi network as well? I just installed 9.3 on my new laptop and havent tried to connect wirelessly to a public network with it. I was researching any problems that I might have before I get started trying to get connected. Thanks.

Just Joined!
    Yeah I think it will also work in a public WiFi network. Try it and if a problem arises post back.
    Toti

Just Joined!
    Cant get what you said to work. I'm missing some of the steps that you gave that other guy.

It'll connect when I have an ethernet cable plugged into the ethernet NIC but I cant seem to get anything with the wireless. SUSEPlugger shows that it's there and I used Control Center to "configuration by DHCP" but still nothing.

Anything else you can think of that you need to know...just let me know and I'll find out what it's doing and show you.

Thanks again.

Just Joined!
    I am sorry I am pretty new to Linux...... Everything I know about wireless conections is waht I said to the other guy. I don't really know what the problem might be. Maybe someone else in the forum knows what to do. Anybody??? Good luck,
    ToTi

Just Joined!
    Well, I appreciate your help all the same Toti. Anything is better than nothing.

I was just playing around with it a while ago and was looking at around at all the settings for wireless connections (when you right click the Kinternet icon in the task bar and select "wireless connections....") and found an option to View Available Wireless Networks (I think thats what it said, if not, it's close) and so I clicked that, and it found the public WLAN that I can connect to when I'm here on Windows. I highlight that WLAN and hit the connect button. It pops up a message saying that I connected successfully to that network but when I go to open Konqueror or Firefox, I get nothing. And all this time, Kinternet is showing that it's still connected to that WLAN.

I dont know if there is something else I need to configure or what. I've looked at all the settings for my wireless card and they are all where they need to be as far as I know. I even looked at the settings for Konqueror and Firefox and thought that maybe they would be like those for IE where you can set it to automatically detect proxy settings, etc etc. Everything is set to automatically detect what needs to be detected but I still cant access any websites with either browser.

Thanks again Toti.

FastZ, when you connect to this wireless lan using KInternet, can you paste the outputs from these commands here:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    ping -c 4 www.google.com
    along with the contents of the /etc/resolv.conf file.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    Code:
    linux:~# iwconfig
    lo      no wireless connections

sit0    no wireless connections

eth0    no wireless connections

eth1    IEEE 802.11g ESSID:"wireless" Nickname:"linux"
            Mode:Managed Frequencey:2.437 GHz Access Point:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
            Bit Rate=54 Mb/s  Tx-Power=20 dBm
            RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
            Encryption key:off
            Power Management:off
            Link Quality=41/100 Signal level=-76 dBm Noise level=-80 dBm
            Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
            Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:1  Missed beacon:21
    Code:
    linux:~# ping -c 4 www.google.com
    ping: unknown host www.google.com
    Thats it. I x'd out the access point's mac address. Dont reckon you need that anyhow.

Here's the resolv.conf file contents....

Code:
    ###  BEGIN INFO
    #
    #  Modified_by:     dhcpcd
    #  Backup:          /etc/resolv.conf.saved.by.dhcpcd.eth0
    #  Process:         dhcpcd
    #  Process_id:      9480
    #  Script:          /sbin/modify_resolvconf
    #  Saveto:..........
    #  Info:            This is a temporary resolv.conf created by service dhcpcd.
    #                   The previous file has been saved and will be restored later.
    #...................
    #                   If you don't like your resolv.conf to be changed, you
    #                   can set MODIFY_(RESOLV,NAMED)_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no.  This
    #                   variables are placed in /etc/sysconfig/network/config.
    #...................
    #                   You can also configure service dhcpcd not to modify it.
    #...................
    #                   If you don't like dhcpcd to change your nameserver
    #                   settings then either set DHCLIENT_MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF=no
    #                   in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp, or set MODIFY_RESOLV_CONF_DYNAMICALLY=no
    #                   in /etc/sysconfig/network/config or (manually) use dhcpcd with -R.
    #                   If you only want to keep your searchlist, set DHCLIENT_KEEP_SEARCHLIST=yes
    #                   in /etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp or (manually) use the -K option.
    #
    ###  END INFO

As long as the mac address of the AP is not all 00:00...., then it is fine. You are associated with the AP, but can't resolve any names.

Launch yast and goto the page where you configured your wireless card. Under hostname and dns, there is a little box at the bottom which says "update hostname and dns via dhcp". Make sure that box is checked.

Save everything and retry the ping, if it returns something like 64 bytes from xxx.xxxx.xxx.xxx(google), then just launch firefox and surf as normal.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast