Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Love SuSe, But...

I have been trying out SO many distros, on and off these last few weeks. I love SuSe 10. There's an attraction and feel about SuSe that I keep coming back to. But, like so many Linux distros, I can't play DVDs or MP3s. I have tried downloading the required DVD codecs I have read about and most of the time they are not accessible, or don't download, etc. By the way, I still have issues learning to compile/download, or whatever Linux experts call it, but I am not letting that stop me. I find Linux fascinating.

Jemreport has an easy-to-follow article that should help you: http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

just a quick lesson on the differences between compiling, installing and downloading:

downloading - as you know, this is downloading files from the internet

installing - again, you'll have done this with windows. this commonly refers to binary (executable) files.

compiling - this is where you take source code (readable code) and turn it into machine code (non-readable by anyone but a computer). almost all linux software provides source code for either tweaking or compiling and installing. why? because source code is easier to "mould" to the needs of your particular system, making it faster and more stable.

hope that helped
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Love SuSe, But...

Thanks, this info helps. Will keep trying, learning, reading. Linux is very cool.

This is a little off-topic, but I notice that this forum's thread .php reply links in KMail brings up text instead of this forum's HTML page. I always have to paste the reply HTML page into the browser to see it properly formatted. Probably a setting in Konqueror needs to be adjusted but not sure yet.

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by anomie
    Jemreport has an easy-to-follow article that should help you: http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/178/42/

Thanks for the link, you made a n00b's day!