Find the answer to your Linux question:
I thought I would open a new thread on this, as the previous thread was for disabling the splash screen, which I don't want to do. Please, how does one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Howto change grub boot & SuSE boot/shutdown splash screens??

I thought I would open a new thread on this, as the previous thread was for disabling the splash screen, which I don't want to do.

Please, how does one CHANGE the SuSE splash screen for:
    a. grub ??
    b. SuSE booting/shutting down ??

I know how to (and I have) changed the KDE splash screen, but I would also like to change both the grub and SuSE boot screens. I am interested in both/either a YaST approach, and a text editor (change) approach.

I did search the internet on this, but got confused/lost with the various random information available.

I am running a SuSE-9.3 configuration on two (family) PCs, and a SuSE-10.0 on two other (family) PCs, hence information for those two SuSE variants are of particular interest to me.

Mandrake used to have a tool for this, but it wasn't very helpful, still quite manual. I haven't seen anything in YaST any time I've done it it's been by hand, configuring in a text editor and rebuilding the initrd.gz. Theses are the instructions I mostly used - here (bootsplash.org)

Thanks for bootsplash tip

Quote Originally Posted by bigtomrodney
    Mandrake used to have a tool for this, but it wasn't very helpful, still quite manual. I haven't seen anything in YaST any time I've done it it's been by hand, configuring in a text editor and rebuilding the initrd.gz. Theses are the instructions I mostly used - here (bootsplash.org)
    Thanks for the suggestion. Based on your post, I did a quick check and I see "bootsplash" comes with SuSE-10.0. I will read up on this and see what I can do.

OK - partial success thanks to bigtomrodney's suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by oldcpu
    Thanks for the suggestion. Based on your post, I did a quick check and I see "bootsplash" comes with SuSE-10.0. I will read up on this and see what I can do.
    OK, following bigtomrodney's suggestion (of bootsplash) I examined the bootsplash web site, and I also examined SuSE documentation, and determined the SuSE distributions from around 8.2 or so, already have kernel's compiled for bootsplash. Using SMART packagemanager, I obtained the SuSE bootsplash themes for all of the old SuSE versions (rpms for my new SuSE-10.0 installation). In particular, I prefer the old SuSE-9.3 theme over the newer SuSE-10.0 theme, so I identified that theme.

The rpm installed by the SMART package manager, installed a bunch of new themes in various directories under /etc/bootsplash/themes. Each directory represents a different boot splash theme.

The SuSE-10.0 default is "SuSE", and so I went into the /etc/sysconfig/bootsplash file and changed "SuSE" to "SuSE-Home" (where "SuSE-Home" is the older SuSE-9.3 theme). I then ran "mkinitrd" afterward, to apply this change to the "bootsplash" file. (That was the tricky part). From what I read, this approach is specific to "grub". One needs to run "lilo" afterward if one is using "lilo" instead of "grub" as their boot manager. I do not know why this is the case.

Looking at the contents of the bootsplash directories under /etc/bootsplash/themes, I am not keen on taking the time to create my own. And while I like the SuSE-9.3 theme over the 10.0 theme, it would be great to find an even better bootsplash theme.

So I now have to surf and see if anyone has created custom themes?

Anyone have suggestions or good URLs here??

I made one myself before, but I'm working on a pretty different one now, with strange animations. (At least it won't be a linear bar...). If I ever finish it I'll pass it on or link you. Probably throw it to kde-look or gnome-look.

Interesting - but a lot more to this than I original thought

I made one myself before, but I'm working on a pretty different one now, with strange animations. (At least it won't be a linear bar...). If I ever finish it I'll pass it on or link you. Probably throw it to kde-look or gnome-look.
    Animations sound a lot more complex to implement. I'm curious about your efforts, but not sure if I have the "where-with-all" to install what ever you end up producing.

I found some simple linux splash screens for SuSE, intermixed with the various KDE splash screens, on: http://www.kde-look.org/ I found one animation screen on kde-look, but I confess to feeling a bit of trepediation when it comes to making the install.

I didn't know about gnome-look until I read your post. I'll have to look there as well to see what I can find.

How to change the GRUB background

In addition to changing the KDE splash screen, here are instructions for changing the GRUB boot manager back ground on SuSE-10.0:

http://www.susewiki.org/index.php?ti...RUB_background

I found on my PC, the maximum .jpg size for the grub backgrund was around 48k.