Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Oh ok, then it just seems that SuSE is not able to find the correct nameserver when you use eth1. Take a look at the /etc/resolv.conf file, if it contains ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Oh ok, then it just seems that SuSE is not able to find the correct nameserver when you use eth1. Take a look at the /etc/resolv.conf file, if it contains an entry which looks like:
    nameserver ip_address_of_work_dns_server
    then check the connections in firefox, or if it is the 2nd or later nameserver, in the list, make it the 1st entry by editing the file (you need root permissions to do this).

If it is not in the file, just add it (once again, you need root permissions).

Oh, if you want multiple profiles, SUSE has this, yast -> system -> profile manager.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!
    ok, this file has nameserver (correct dns nameserver)
    followed by a second line that contains only the two words search site

so that looks in order, but firefox still not giving me any joy...hmmm...

ifconfig tells me errors for both rx and tx packets...
    also, what's the function of the "lo" that's listed in ifconfig along with eth0, eth1?

lo i s the loopback interface, its so the system can talk to itself (my understanding).

Ok, before we get any further, can you paste the outputs from the following commands:
    Code:
    ifconfig
    iwconfig

Just Joined!
    well if i could actually paste, i'd be ecstatic, but since this thing is completely cut off from the internet, i have to type in...

ifconfig:
    eth 0: link encap: ethernet hw addr: xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
    inet addr (correct) Bcast (first three fields same then 255 in final) mask 255.255.255.0
    inet6 addr: xxx:xxxxxxxxx/xx scope: link
    up broadcast running multicast mtu:1500 metric:1
    rx packets:37 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    tx packts: 64 errors: 0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    rx bytes: 3704 (3.6 kb) tx bytes:4286 (4.1 kb)

iwconfig -- i'm not running that here at work with the static ip/eth cable setup, that's the eth0 above. eth1 is shutdown.

thx,
    BEG

Firstly, you can copy and paste. You will just have to redirect the output from those commands from stdout (the screen) to a file with the > operator, e.g. the following command will send the output from ifconfig command to a file called ifconfig.txt in your home directory
    Code:
    ifconfig > /home/your_user_name/ifconfig.txt
    Now just save the file to usb stick or something, and in windows, read it and paste it.

Also whats the output from the route command? I just have a feeling that the card is setup fine, but it is not using the correct gateway/route to the internet when you are at work.

Just Joined!
    Oh god, that sounds like....contamination??!! besides i type faster than that...

Route gives me...
    kernel ip routing table
    destination gateway genmask flags metric ref use iface
    xxx.xxx.xx.0 * 255.255.255.0 U 0 0 0 eth1
    link-local * 255.255.0.0 (ditto)
    loopback * 255.0.0.0 0 0 0 lo
    default xxx.xxx.xx.1 0.0.0.0 UG 0 0 0 eth1

where the x-d out stuff matches proper settings, the xxx-1 is the gateway and so on. not sure about that very first one? shouldn't it be xxx-12 (what the laptop's ip should be? but ifconfig shows eth1 as xxx-12, so that seems okay...

Remember, EVERYTHING (work static, home eth dhcp and home wireless dhcp) going south all at once...It simply must be some single pesky setting.
    I don't know if it's the gateway, though, b/c then dhcp shd be okay, the gateway being set properly by that. (And said dhcp's working fine on the other, ahem, windows-using computers in the house...sigh...and of course the work static being just fine as witnessed by this very post...)

I just can't find it

OK, it is just as i thought it might be, your system is trying to use eth1 to connect to the internet, when eth1 is infact your wireless card (unless your computer has 3 physical network interfaces). The steps below will make your computer route the connections through eth0, rather than eth1.

Simple way to go about fixing this. Launch yast and goto the network config page. Select your wired card and goto the routing menu.

Hit the expert configuration checkbox. And hit add

Under destination, type the broadcast address of your workplace, e.g. in your case xxx.xxx.xxx.0.

Under gateway, enter the ip address of your companies gateway.

Same for netmask, 255.255...........

Under devices, select eth0 or whatever your computer refers eth0 as, for me it is something like eth-id-xxxxxx where the xxx.. are replaced by the mac address of the card.

When setting up the gateway for the home, do the same steps as above, except select the correct eth card, enter default for destination.

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK
    OK, it is just as i thought it might be, your system is trying to use eth1 to connect to the internet, when eth1 is infact your wireless card (unless your computer has 3 physical network interfaces). The steps below will make your computer route the connections through eth0, rather than eth1.
    Ooh. OK, want to be very sure I understand this for future ref. What, exactly, told you that these were being switched around?

Simple way to go about fixing this. Launch yast and goto the network config page. Select your wired card and goto the routing menu.
    Side note, selecting the network devices off yast always has it run thru the initialize config sequence before it shows me the available network devices (gateway 2000 pro ethernet controller, with xxx-12, and intel pro/wireless 2200BG, with DHCP). Ergh? Seems needlessly slow. Anyway...

And by wired card, you mean the wireless? Except that I'm not using the wireless at work. I'm just double checking here...? I apologize if it's been hard to keep track of what goes where here.

Hit the expert configuration checkbox. And hit add

Under destination, type the broadcast address of your workplace, e.g. in your case xxx.xxx.xxx.0.

Under gateway, enter the ip address of your companies gateway.

Same for netmask, 255.255...........

Under devices, select eth0 or whatever your computer refers eth0 as, for me it is something like eth-id-xxxxxx where the xxx.. are replaced by the mac address of the card.
    Question again, under devices I have the following choices (editing the wireless card), I have eth-id-MAC, lo, wlan-id-MAC as choices. eth-id is already selected.

Why would I configure the wireless for the static ethernet cable at work?

When setting up the gateway for the home, do the same steps as above, except select the correct eth card, enter default for destination.
    which brings me to my next question, any way to have two static, ethcable settings I can switch on, a dhcp at home and a static at work? And then multiple settings for the wireless card, for the dhcp at home, the freebie wireless at diedrich's coffee, the dhcp at my friend's house, where I set up her wireless, etc...?

The answers to your questions are in order:
    1. What the route command presently shows is that the connection to the internet is being sent through eth1, which is the 2nd card. Now by default, linux tends to detect wired cards first (wireless needs more config) and give it a name eth0. The 1st line under the destination heading gave me this idea from the output of your route command.

2. No, I mean the wired, but it really shouldn't matter. As the routing and nameserver configurations are the same for both cards.

3. You are not configuring the wireless network at work. That dropdown list just shows all the network interfaces available on your system.

4. Yes. Use the profile manager in yast (Yast -> system -> profiles). Set up one for work which has a static ip set up for work with whatever other settings in place. Under this profile, tell it that the wireless card is to be brought up manually and the wired card is to be brought up on boot.

Then setup one profile for home, which has a dhcp for wired connection which should be brought up on cable connection (select under advanced -> additional settings). And for the multiple wireless networks that you want to connect to, get a program such as KWifimanager to manage the different ssid's and wep keys for you. For the wireless, I would recommend that you setup the nameservers to be updated via dhcp.

Also for switching profiles easily, right click on the taskbar, select Add to panel -> application -> system -> desktop applet -> profile chooser.

Just Joined!
    Success! I connected on the wireless at home. Basically I ifdown'd the eth1 and then carefully went thru the wireless' settings on yast. Part of the problem might have been using "back" instead of "ok" when making some changes. Argh. Anyhow, when I get into work tomorrow, I'll see if I can get the static-ethernetcable set up.

Which leaves me with two questions: Why is the yast so clunky -- eg when I start up the network devices, it goes thru this tedious init config process. It also stubbornly highlights the first device listed (which happens to be the ethernet controller card) even if its the second device (the wireless) which is in actual use. And then it looks like there's sort of a two step process when reconfiguring: you select the one you're interested in, edit, okay your way thru and then at the end you're back at the original list (with the first one stubbornly highlighted again; the second part of hte process seems to be then selecting the one you're interested in refreshing, and then clicking on next rather than edit, which seems to refresh things all up.

Ugh.

Am I missing something, or is that the process on yast?

Moving right along ot my second question, which I consider more of interest anyway: given that I have multiple possible setups for both the network card and the wireless card, and that the command line gives me cool utils like ifconfig and iwconfig (and ifup, ifdown, etc), it seems that I should at least be able to put together scripts to set things up. *Ideally* it would sort things out for itself on startup, but if I can't have that, at least some tpye of script would be good...? Would I really have to have the scripts have all the sensitive info on the wireless WEP keys and all? (tho I suppose they';re basically protected by root access anyway, it's not like I'm going to let anyone else use this computer in the first place, or make it executable by anything other than root...

While I'm new to linux on laptops/PCs, I'm pretty veteran at unix. Its just this sort of stuff puzzling me since my typical unix setup doesn't reboot more than once an eon or so... So feel free to sling info at me, and THANKS so much for the help so far...I'll see if I'm on the right track tomorrow if I can nudge the static eth into operation...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast